Why Can't I shoot...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought an 1898 H&A .38 revolver and it's for black powder loads, what will happen to me if I have to use it in an emergency with modern .38 rounds-not the"P" variety? I bought i because I didn't have atop break revolver and now I have one...

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But it's for black powder loads, not modern ammunition. The best you could hope for mal-functionwise would be a jam. However, I've seen a gun blow up in a shooter's hand. It was not pretty.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They werent meant to handle the pressure of modern loads. Better to be safe than sorry IMO.
Time to roll your own or find some light loads that match the pressures recommended to your particular firearm.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nope, not me. black powder is a different animal for sure. Over pressure scares the bejeebers out of me, roll your own like Adams said or simply have a CCW on ya IMHO.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might wanna post up where to send flowers/condolences now ... just in case you think you should shoot it and find out.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
some manufacturers sell cowboy loads these loads are loaded down and I have read of people shooting these in the H&A and they stated shoots like a 22 and leaves unburnt powder on the table.
If it was mine I would down load it with Bullseye powder.
Slug the barrel and see what you get. measure everything etc etc.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tie it to a tree. Tie a string around the trigger and let it rip tater chip! Record it so we can see that pipe bomb blow! Sorry, it is not worth the risk. The top latch/lock is where I would foresee the fail happen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom