Why carry? My story may be unique.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My next door neighbor, who working in the same building as I, was killed with a knife in the public parking garage at work in broad daylight during one of my assignments before coming to Oklahoma.
Ironically, on this very forum shortly after I joined, I was thoroughly excoriated, verbally ridiculed and called derogatory names for stating that carry 24/7 is prudent because danger cannot be predicted as to time and place. The individual from Oklahoma City told me he and his friends only carried when going to "those places" and carrying in their buildings in Oklahoma was not needed.

Yes, it sounded incredibly naïve to me then, and presumably to most here now.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My next door neighbor, who working in the same building as I, was killed with a knife in the public parking garage at work in broad daylight during one of my assignments before coming to Oklahoma.
Ironically, on this very forum shortly after I joined, I was thoroughly excoriated, verbally ridiculed and called derogatory names for stating that carry 24/7 is prudent because danger cannot be predicted as to time and place. The individual from Oklahoma City told me he and his friends only carried when going to "those places" and carrying in their buildings in Oklahoma was not needed.

Yes, it sounded incredibly naïve to me then, and presumably to most here now.

Hi Rod! I'd be curious to see that thread if you could dig it up.

Bryan

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If we ever get a chance to meet, ask me to show you where I got shot at in the back of my left upper arm. You cant really miss the scars and the part of my arm that is missing. I was in a place where I shouldnt have been doing things I shouldnt have been doing when I was shot so no excuses. But thats why I carry. Not really unique at all, hell I carried illegal before permits were legal out of necessity because of where I lived at.

Last edited:

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not quite a carry story, but close enough to make the point.

I have a friend, an older white gentleman, who was in Los Angeles with his adult son and daughter when the Rodney King riots broke out.
They were in the middle of an area that had just erupted into a war zone. Luckily he had his guns in his vehicle. He gave a pistol to each of his kids and had one for himself. They were lucky that they didn't have to actually pull the trigger on anyone, as several times there were groups of people intent on doing harm to them who approached the car. Luckily having three guns pointing out the car windows was enough to make the small bands of rioters rethink their plans.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After re-reading my message above I wanted to be clear that I wasn't in any way questioning Rod's integrity. I met him several years ago when he did a Utah class for a bunch of us in the "upper room" of my restaurant. I was truly curious about the thread, though, as it would be interesting to see how times might have changed. I carried all of the time back then, too.

Bryan

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After re-reading my message above I wanted to be clear that I wasn't in any way questioning Rod's integrity. I met him several years ago when he did a Utah class for a bunch of us in the "upper room" of my restaurant. I was truly curious about the thread, though, as it would be interesting to see how times might have changed. I carried all of the time back then, too.

Bryan
I agree.
I'm speculating here, but I'd bet that some of those that gave him grief had not actually read/understood the Law in question.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The way things are going, with the attacks on people such as slugging and knocking them out, car jackings, illegals (no racial intent meant), economy bad, more people are going to turn to crime because they can't get a job (according to them) it might pay to carry. Times aren't like they were 10 years ago.

colb

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of our customers is a scrap yard, located in Cushing, Oklahoma. I was out on site one day, and one of their employees came into the office. His head was bandaged heavily and he had large cuts and bruises all over. The bandage on his head covered what was nearly a fatal wound. He had stopped to help someone with car trouble, and was attacked. They stole his car, but not before they left a blade sticking out of his skull, and leaving him for dead.

I carried some already, when I met him. Now I carry every day. It's one thing to see a story on the evening news. But meeting someone in person and seeing the result first hand really brings it home.

Latest posts

Top Bottom