Why didn't anyone warn me?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I just get the breaks.

I've never been much at cooking except the occasional hamburger or bacon and eggs. I've even asked the wife to help me learn some other things, but she refuses.

I don't know if it is a case of she doesn't want to try to teach an old fogey or whether she just wants to be able to eat what has been cooked.

You know, come to think of it, she also won't let me wash the dishes, except maybe my own bowl and spoon.

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OH my wife is an amazing cook, and an even more amazing baker. She did about 80% of the cooking in the household. I have done 100% of it for the past few weeks.

I am just pretty sure this is a continuation of the training that she has put me under since we got married. "if I buy him an outdoor griddle, he will cook everything on it.

I just had the trap epiphany cooking on the griddle, wearing my "men's aroma therapy" apron, holding the spatula.

Georgie 1

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, I got my father's day gift from my wife about three weeks ago. It's a little 22" Culinary Omnivore Portable X-frame. 2 burner. Great since the youngest just moved out, and it is just us, plus we wanted one that we could take in the camper and set up just about anywhere.

So, for the past three weeks or so, I have been cooking breakfast on the weekends, cooking in the evenings when we get home, cooking supper on the weekends, and lunches for the the week.

Why did no one warn me? Why did no one tell me?

View attachment 486028

It's just an elaborate way to get me to do almost all of the cooking.

I guess I could let her use it too.

🤣

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stop it! Y'all are making me hungry, now. In fact I just had to go out in the yard and set up my All American Sun Oven solar cooker. It really deserves it's own thread and I oughta do that sometime..
But it's just a well made insulated black box with big aluminum reflectors and a glass door that ya aim at the sun to cook whatever fits in a small oven. Great for my Mystery Cakes ... even I forget how I made em ... roasted meat/fowl.. veggies...rice/pasta based dishes..all that. Free fuel, low maintenance.
Only enemies are shade and high wind. Clean up usually involves mopping up a lil steam water.
Sun ovens- check em out. Fits right in with most other outdoor (daytime) cookery. Bake cobbler or taters as you grill/smoke your main course,
Or just use all summer to keep the house cool. Cooks great on a tailgate or in a snowy yard ...just runs about 300F on a bright day.

TBone appetit

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, I got my father's day gift from my wife about three weeks ago. It's a little 22" Culinary Omnivore Portable X-frame. 2 burner. Great since the youngest just moved out, and it is just us, plus we wanted one that we could take in the camper and set up just about anywhere.

So, for the past three weeks or so, I have been cooking breakfast on the weekends, cooking in the evenings when we get home, cooking supper on the weekends, and lunches for the the week.

Why did no one warn me? Why did no one tell me?

View attachment 486028

It's just an elaborate way to get me to do almost all of the cooking.

I guess I could let her use it too.

I have found these are one of the most useful things I have gotten for my griddle https://a.co/d/5MMjjTo I did not care for the round lids. I think I cook more pancakes than anything else on mine but I do love the fact that I can put a ton of onions on there at once. when we have a bunch of people over i can cook 12 burgers at one time because I have the 36" I think I cook on mine more in the winter than the summer.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a 20" blackstone griddle and an 22" pellet stove we take in our RV. Both are used as each has their own purpose. Even made smoked ribs on the blackstone griddle that won a little competition among our group.
I retired three years before the wife and couldn't see not taking over the cooking.
Actually, enjoy it. My parents had my sister and I make breakfast after Church when she was 9 and I was 8. Stood on wood boxes to get high enough.
There is so much information and recipes on the internet currently, that it's impossible to not be a good cook.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stop it! Y'all are making me hungry, now. In fact I just had to go out in the yard and set up my All American Sun Oven solar cooker. It really deserves it's own thread and I oughta do that sometime..
But it's just a well made insulated black box with big aluminum reflectors and a glass door that ya aim at the sun to cook whatever fits in a small oven. Great for my Mystery Cakes ... even I forget how I made em ... roasted meat/fowl.. veggies...rice/pasta based dishes..all that. Free fuel, low maintenance.
Only enemies are shade and high wind. Clean up usually involves mopping up a lil steam water.
Sun ovens- check em out. Fits right in with most other outdoor (daytime) cookery. Bake cobbler or taters as you grill/smoke your main course,
Or just use all summer to keep the house cool. Cooks great on a tailgate or in a snowy yard ...just runs about 300F on a bright day.

TBone appetit

.Yes it deserves a seperate thread. I ended up leaving my sun oven in WA when I moved here. I miss it. Those things are better than a regular oven.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I just get the breaks.

I've never been much at cooking except the occasional hamburger or bacon and eggs. I've even asked the wife to help me learn some other things, but she refuses.

I don't know if it is a case of she doesn't want to try to teach an old fogey or whether she just wants to be able to eat what has been cooked.

You know, come to think of it, she also won't let me wash the dishes, except maybe my own bowl and spoon.
YouTube is your friend. I occasionally make rice crispy cookies with browned butter a la Alton Brown.

Latest posts

Top Bottom