Why do ranges not want you loading mags on shelves on back wall?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I get why you wouldnt want someone loading magazines into guns or loading guns with fixed tube mags or single/double shot firearms but why not mags? First off I have never done it, a bit of a rule follower unless I know the rule is stupid. Not to mention I usually go alone so its not an issue, but this seems to be a big issue. A lot of ranges have this rule and for some reason they put tables on the back wall. Why not little cubbies with no table tops if you want to discourage this practice?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never complain about rules that are in place to save my butt. Even with the rules being enforced, I still see people (that should know better) do stupid things.
Have no problem with telling them too. If they get mad because I remind them that pointing a gun at me when you're messing with it, is not ok.
A guy that I used to talk to at the range (we shoot on the same range and I see him a lot) won't say a word to me anymore when I see him. Got pissed because I asked him not to be dry firing at the floor right behind me. I wasn't a prick, I just said "man I wish you wouldn't do that". He gave me a go to hell look and left. Next time I saw him, he moved to the end of the range to shoot.

Good for you. I saw a guy at our range trying to sight in his optic while guys were down at the berm collecting targets. We have a loud buzzer and flashing lights that let people know when someone is going downrange. He should have known better, but someone went up to him and let him know you aren't supposed to be at the bench when people are downrange. He acted kinda pissy about it (the guy in the wrong), but there's just no other way around it - safety is first.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good for you. I saw a guy at our range trying to sight in his optic while guys were down at the berm collecting targets. We have a loud buzzer and flashing lights that let people know when someone is going downrange. He should have known better, but someone went up to him and let him know you aren't supposed to be at the bench when people are downrange. He acted kinda pissy about it (the guy in the wrong), but there's just no other way around it - safety is first.
I should of said I see this being broken a lot and it does make me nervous because I have a good idea why it's there. Also I know it's not their first time at a range either bases on their equipment and then not flinching from noise. I just don't know why there are shelves in the first place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CityHillBilly

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I should of said I see this being broken a lot and it does make me nervous because I have a good idea why it's there. Also I know it's not their first time at a range either bases on their equipment and then not flinching from noise. I just don't know why there are shelves in the first place.

Some ranges have them to store an extra weapon or to store a range bag. That's about all I can think off.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some ranges have them to store an extra weapon or to store a range bag. That's about all I can think off.
If it's so unsafe (which l believe it is) then little storage racks would be better. It seems like every time I go someone is loading and every other time RO comes in to correct someone.

}BuLL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I almost always go to the range with someone and share a lane, and thus load mags on the back wall/counter while the other is shooting. At no time does the gun leave the firing line. It is removed or placed back in the case on the firing line. RSO's seem fine with this practice, and have not alerted me otherwise.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So at indoor ranges, most of them anyway, you have to leave your gun at the firing line and walk to the wall behind you in order to load your mags? You cannot load your mags on the firing line?

Latest posts

Top Bottom