Why do we need cell phones

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you ever had a car break down on you, or got in a position where you needed someone to come get you, or bring you cash, you probably realize that we've ALWAYS needed cell phones. It's just that back in the day (which was a Wednesday, btw...) they cost too much for most of us to be affordable. Electronics have gotten smaller and cheaper since the 60's.
Very true but we had pay phones back then. I have no compunctions whatsoever about letting a phone ring if I’m busy with something. My ex thought the world stopped when the phone rang. It had to be answered. :screwy:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very true but we had pay phones back then. I have no compunctions whatsoever about letting a phone ring if I’m busy with something. My ex thought the world stopped when the phone rang. It had to be answered. :screwy:

I learned when my truck broke down out in the country. I used to commute 75 miles each way to work from Bartlesville to Ponca City. I went most of a year without a cell phone, then when my truck took a dump on me, I finally gave in to my wife's nagging and got a cell phone again. <sigh>

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You don't "need" much beyond food and water. You don't "need" your CCW... Well, until you do then you might need it pretty desperately. Same thing for a cell phone. My kiddos know they are only one phone call away from help 24x7x365.

After being on-call for work 20+ years my family also knows I'll always be the one to answer the damn phone when they have an emergency.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Instead of adding to the spam on phone thread I will put this here.

I was talking with my neighbor yesterday and I told him why I feel everyone needs a cell phone.

It is because of what @Snattlerake posted in his rant.
I really think it is all related to our education system failing us not teaching the individual to think critically and the morals of the person not being followed that causes this behavior.

That is his quote.

Years ago you went to work got your work orders and went onto the job and got it done.
Many people today can't seem to get the jobs done. No critical thinking and many need to be baby sat.

Morals of people are in the gutter so you feel your children need the phone for protection.

I still hate cell phones and remain in the group that does not have one.

That's the problem. It's not the education system's responsibility to teach morals, it's the parent's job. Send your kid to a public school with a blank canvas and it will come back with something painted on it, and that could be anything.

I've had this discussion a couple of times recently. The education system as we know it based on memorization of facts and details of things that could not be found in the home. Remember almanacs and encyclopedias? Most homes didn't have them, and even those were limited in scope and were quickly outdated. Other than critical thinking, problem solving and math in general, is there anything learned in K-12 that can't be discovered or found on a common cell phone? Need a fact about anything, Google it. Need to know how far something is away? Google it. Need a compass to determine your location? Not any more. Need to know the parts of speech or what a diphthong is? Google it. Is the standard system of education as we grew up with, still needed in the manner that it's taught? It's all outdated imo, that said, I don't have the answers as to what it should change to. Any subjects that require memorization of facts that can be retrieved in a matter of seconds on cell phone is a wasted class imo.
Critical thinking classes after classes is the only thing I can suggest.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The real issue is do you have a cell phone for your convenience or do you let it control you?

It seems most people just HAVE TO respond to it any time it goes off. If I am busy or driving, (or just don't feel like looking right then) I'll look at it when I get a chance. The phone is for my convenience, not everyone else's.

Last edited:

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's the problem. It's not the education system's responsibility to teach morals, it's the parent's job. Send your kid to a public school with a blank canvas and it will come back with something painted on it, and that could be anything.

I've had this discussion a couple of times recently. The education system as we know it based on memorization of facts and details of things that could not be found in the home. Remember almanacs and encyclopedias? Most homes didn't have them, and even those were limited in scope and were quickly outdated. Other than critical thinking, problem solving and math in general, is there anything learned in K-12 that can't be discovered or found on a common cell phone? Need a fact about anything, Google it. Need to know how far something is away? Google it. Need a compass to determine your location? Not any more. Need to know the parts of speech or what a diphthong is? Google it. Is the standard system of education as we grew up with, still needed in the manner that it's taught? It's all outdated imo, that said, I don't have the answers as to what it should change to. Any subjects that require memorization of facts that can be retrieved in a matter of seconds on cell phone is a wasted class imo.
Critical thinking classes after classes is the only thing I can suggest.

However, that's the one thing they don't want............don't want the kiddo's getting ideas to change things!

:angry3:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a behavior thing, I'm fine with my phone ringing and not answering it. My Dad couldn't stand for the land line to go unanswered, and then he would ***** about the phone solicitors. I told him many times that it was easy to check the caller ID and let it ring, he couldn't do it. He never used a cell phone, so the behavior was around before cell phones/smart phones. It's just more evident now...
Yeah, and my dad subconsciously yelled into the telephone during long distance calls. It was just a habit he picked up in the early days of telephone technology. There were some funny things I can add though. Dad was really proud of the fact his mom was the telephone company switchboard operator in Isabella. Dad was also the head accountant for a rural phone company and retired in 85. He still yelled for LD calls when he got a cell phone.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s not just a cell phone. It’s a radio, TV, ballistic App, search engine, weather radar, GPS, etc. Most of us probably use it more for other things than we do a phone. I know I do.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A phone is a tool just like your firearms. How it is used is up to you. I just got a new flip phone yesterday and it is charging now. I carry it when I go out for emergency purposes and the rest of the time it is turned off and sits on my desk.

Good side, this one has a camera so my photos may improve. Bad side, it has text capability. I know someone, probably my daughter or wife is going to try to text me and wonder why it is ignored.

Latest posts

Top Bottom