Why do we need cell phones

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The real issue is do you have a cell phone for your convenience or do you let it control you?

It seems most people just HAVE TO respond to it any time it goes off. If I am busy or driving, (or just don't feel like looking right then) I'll look at it when I get a chance. The phone is for my convenience, not everyone else's.
This...EXACTLY!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our phones are both tools and crutches, because crutches are tools too! But, unlike a pair of crutches, your phone will fail you when you absolutely positively need it the most, during a crisis. So I see nothing wrong with utilizing them for your daily needs and entertainment, but you should have a backup plan when it doesn't work and you're in the soup! :doh:

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me, the worst part about my cell phone is that is has telephone capability. I DESPISE talking on the phone. I'd rather have my nether regions waxed and dipped in alcohol than talk on the phone. Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of other people actually prefer to communicate that way. I hate them for it.

As for why I have a cell phone? Convenience, information, camera, and (occasionally) so I can share a dirty pic or 3 with my friends (no, not of me. Of others who willing post them online for all to see and share). Also, for the last 8 1/2 years my cell phone has been my office. I've recently become an actual employee, but I'm still working from home as well as doing my own thing on the side. Therefore, I need a phone.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a cell phone, but not a "smart" phone. My phone stays in my truck, turned off. If I need to make a call it's there and when I turn it on I can get any voice mail I need to hear. It costs me $10.00 a month.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shameful what we have done to our children.
1626119921444.png

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to say that I never wanted a cell phone, and I was in a business in which I sold cell phones. Finally, the wife insisted that I get a cell phone and she dragged me into a store to get one. She wanted to be able to get in touch with me if she needed.

For years, I carried it but seldom used it. Then, she got a smart phone and I saw how she used it for so many ways to research stuff, even to the point of checking "Gas Buddy" to find the cheapest gasoline in a town/city. After a number of years of her using hers, I finally broke down and got a smart phone.

Now, I use the "Smart" far more than I use the "Phone."

Works for me.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found it kind of handy today, listening to about six hours of Fred Burton’s Beirut Rules. I could’ve just picked up the book and read it, that’s true, but the highway patrol tends to frown on doing that at 70mph.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A phone is a tool just like your firearms. How it is used is up to you. I just got a new flip phone yesterday and it is charging now. I carry it when I go out for emergency purposes and the rest of the time it is turned off and sits on my desk.

Good side, this one has a camera so my photos may improve. Bad side, it has text capability. I know someone, probably my daughter or wife is going to try to text me and wonder why it is ignored.
Did you find a flip phone with a keyboard or just the numbers (hard to spell that way)? Asking for a friend.

Latest posts

Top Bottom