Why do we need cell phones

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying I detest talking on the phone and always have. I prefer face to face communication and even a written letter to talking on the phone. However, at times I am grateful for cell phones.

Before I retired I was in sales and traveled a great deal in a six and sometimes eight state area and carried a pager for my customers to reach me. Early on before I had a cell phone I would have to find a pay phone to call the customers when I received a page and many times I was traveling in very remote areas and would have to travel out of my way to find a pay phone, only to find, half the time the pay phones were out of order. Getting a cell phone made my life much easier and more productive.

Last night one of my daughters called me at 11:30 pm after I was asleep. Her husband and two boys and her were driving back to Little Rock and ruined two tires. She was driving and hit a large piece of concrete when she was getting back on the interstate from a potty break. One tire blew out and the other had a large bulge in the sidewall. They only had one of the ridiculous doughnut spares. So I advised her to put the doughnut on and limp slowly to the rest area a couple miles down the highway.

Normally I would not have heard the phone but I had put it beside my bed using it for an alarm clock to wake up at 4:00 am to take another of my daughters to Will Rogers Airport for a flight to Florida.

My daughter and her husband were broke down between Warner, OK and Weber Falls, OK. So I load up my floor jack, jack stands, 4-way wrench, torque wrench and sockets and leave Guthrie and head to where they were broke down. Ended up purchasing two new tires in Checotah, OK and getting them back on the road this morning. Long day!

We communicated back and forth via cell phones discussing options, etc.

My point being is cell phones are darn handy at times, even if I cuss the darn things and use them as little as possible.

Also, everything in life seems to have the potential for positive or negative, good or evil, or perhaps Yen or Yang. Water is necessary for life, but also can be one of the most destructive forces on earth.

Now carbon is getting a bad rap, but without carbon there is no such thing as organic life. I am grateful for carbon and carbon based fuels!

I’ll keep my cell phone - cuss it from time to time and enjoying all the good things carbon brings to life!

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cell phone Tip
1) Go to setting on phone (i-Phone)
2) Page down to Phone
3) Page Down to Silence Unknown Callers
4) Turn on Silence Unknown Callers

Only add people to your phone directory that you want to receive call from.
Your phone will only ring if someone is in your directory.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Cell phone saves time and money in construction!! Going to find a pay phone when working in town was a pain, at around 220th and N Western was a time consuming prospect added to that. Pagers and pay phones sucked. But it was better than having to wait until you were at the house to see if another job opportunity had popped up . My cell is indispensable. I do use call blocker judiciously though. :cool:

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What if you need to check out the latest “future ex-wife“ posting & you don’t have a cell phone???? It comes in handy, so to speak.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Short answer, we don't.
Now be careful. There is a large segment of society that will say the same about firearms. What about recreational medications, alcohol, fast cars, big trucks, etc.

Aren't we glad that we live in a nation where, for the most part, we can choose what we "need" or not.

I hate getting phone calls but I sure like having the phone when I need to make a call, look up an address, or find a route to someplace new.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a cell phone because I don't have a land line. The phone company here was private owned. Anything out of my prefix was long distance. They didn't provide long distance . I had to find my own long distance carrier plus the local company and they only had dial up internet in my area.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Posting this from my cell phone

I’m a technology freek.
Rolling down the road, the integration between my cell phone and the trucks audio provides hands free driving and turn by turn driving instructions to a destination.
We can also visit with folks to pass the time and conduct business hands free.
We accepted an offer on MIL’s home in Broken Arrow today with a virtual signature. Verified our location with our CC provider to get fuel in Wyoming. (Awesome they are on top of this)
That is just today.
Looking back to yesteryear, time spent on the side of the road pouring over maps and the stress of hitting the right exit no longer exists.
I ran a small business years ago that was a field service technician for CNC machine tools basically from the phone.
Been in the technology field from the solid state technology in the 70’s until retirement in the recent years.
It’s amazing what is available currently and what will be the norm in the future.
Anybody read George Orwell?

Attachments

• 86D43D25-A1F3-4485-8C31-C43856844904.jpeg
    86D43D25-A1F3-4485-8C31-C43856844904.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 48

Latest posts

Top Bottom