Why do we.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
70 and married 50 yrs !! And still have a sense of humor!!! You Sir are my hero!! I am 50 and been married 30 and you give me hope that I wont be a cranky old coot that sits around looking for stuff to gripe about.. Relaxing after a day at work, and coming up with points to ponder sounds way better.:respect:

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm 73 years old and my grade school teacher told my class that people use bad language because they don't have a good command of the English language. I used to cuss but I realized that I have control over my speech and decided to stop the swearing. To hear others swear is offensive to me but that's my opinion. I only used the Lord's name in vain once and I felt like someone slapped me but maybe that was the Holy Spirit or my childhood religious upbringing. Either way, I've never disrespected the Lord again in that fashion although I have grieved Him in other ways.
Sad to say, I'm a man of many errors and the way I was brought up sometimes confuses me because I had to learn different societal things on my own or by watching others-and I still make mistakes-but I don't swear!

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm 73 years old and my grade school teacher told my class that people use bad language because they don't have a good command of the English language.
https://www.usnews.com/news/article...swear-more-are-smarter-have-larger-vocabulary
If you curse a lot, you're smarter than your clean-mouthed counterparts, according to a recent study.

"A voluminous taboo lexicon may better be considered an indicator of healthy verbal abilities,” reads the study, published in the November issue of Language Sciences. In plain English: The more curses you know, the more words you know.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/...messy-stay-awake-longer-and-swear-more-2016-8
You always hear that people who swear have a “limited vocabulary”. But if you think about it, those who don’t use any swear words are the ones who limit their own vocabulary, because they intentionally use fewer words than others.

In fact, there is a study deconstructing that myth about curse words. The result showed that people who could name the most swear words within a minute also tend to score higher on an IQ test. The study concludes that a rich vocabulary of swear words is a sign of rhetorical strength rather than the attempt to hide verbal deficits.
...so tell your ignorant-*** grade-school teacher to button her ******* ****-holster.

;)

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fascinating. I had no idea that ghetto areas were so full of genius-level intelligence... :rolleyes2
It was published in what appears to be a scholarly journal (Language Sciences), so I suspect that the authors controlled for such variables.

Actually, that entire issue (Volume 52, November 2015) appears to be devoted to slurs (see http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/03880001/52/supp/C ); does anybody have access to a university library and a chance to look it over? Might be interesting.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
does anybody have access to a university library
Not since may of 1988, the University gave me an MS and I gave them my key to the library. Sad place that library, so many nights in silence, no laughter, no fun. Well, other than all the shenanigans we enjoyed in the study rooms after midnight.... And a significant number of conceptions during finals week. Stress can cause people to do nasty, nasty things...

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not since may of 1988, the University gave me an MS and I gave them my key to the library. Sad place that library, so many nights in silence, no laughter, no fun. Well, other than all the shenanigans we enjoyed in the study rooms after midnight.... And a significant number of conceptions during finals week. Stress can cause people to do nasty, nasty things...
So...your first was born about February of 1989?

Latest posts

Top Bottom