Why do you carry? And when do you pull and fire?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arin Morris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I maybe shouldn't have targeted my response specifically at your post. It just reminded me of that article is all.

I don't mind. As I said previously, I do not yet have my CCW. These are good scenarios to think about and it's good to see the results of the possible aftermath of such scenarios. Having exposure to stories like these may help you make better decisions in the heat of a similar situation. Thanks again for the link.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow I can't believe how many people here would stand by and watch in the first scenario. First off, how would you feel if you were the one with a gun in your face, 2 if the perp is stupid enough to try armed robbery, murder is not too far fetched, 3 how well are you gonna sleep when the clerk gives him the money and still gets his brains blown out? Also, if you do let the guy take the money and run, you have not only failed yourself, you have failed all of society because the scumbag will just do it again until he gets caught or killed. The proper thing to do would be command him to drop his weapon, any thing besides compliance should cost him his life.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow I can't believe how many people here would stand by and watch in the first scenario. First off, how would you feel if you were the one with a gun in your face, 2 if the perp is stupid enough to try armed robbery, murder is not too far fetched, 3 how well are you gonna sleep when the clerk gives him the money and still gets his brains blown out? Also, if you do let the guy take the money and run, you have not only failed yourself, you have failed all of society because the scumbag will just do it again until he gets caught or killed. The proper thing to do would be command him to drop his weapon, any thing besides compliance should cost him his life.

Meaning no disrespect... your profile shows your age at 24, so you probably aren't aware of this... but 17 yrs ago when CC first passed in Oklahoma.. we were taught in the classes that we could only use our CC weapon to defend ourselves, our immediate family members [wife / husband, kids], our parents / in-laws & employees... but we could not use it to defend adult sibblings [brothers & sisters] or unrelated adults.... as they were responsible for getting their own permits to carry.. that it was a SELF DEFENSE permit, that we were not police officers. At that time, I couldn't even loan my carry weapon to my adult brother or my father so they could defend themselves. The interpretation of the self defense laws were really screwed up.

Since then, the Castle law and Stand Your Ground law and several others have changed our abilities to defend others with our CC / OC weapon. However, in the case of the cashier being robbed... you would be opening yourself up to a major civil lawsuit that could cost you every thing you owned... if you injected yourself into the situation... as it was described.

Most stores & banks tell their clerks to fully co-operate and just give the robber the money. That is the recommendation of the police & justice / FBI studies. If you deliberately go from having not been noticed by the robber.... to calling attention to yourself and confronting the guy with your weapon... and someone gets injured or killed.. you were not using your weapon for self defense.. you were taking on the role of a COP to try & defend someone else! A role for which a DA or civil lawyer would argue that you were not properly trained for... because cops are taught to tell cashiers & tellers to just give the robber the money, not to resist. Now if the clerk wants to ignore that advice, that is upon him / her... but it is not for you to decide for them.. as it was his / her life at stake... not yours.

On-the-other-hand, if the robber discovers you on his own, then you are at danger and have every right to take action to defend yourself.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, 99% of stores the register is by the door blocking my only exit, crazy guy with a gun, I'm in imminent danger. While it may save the cashier, it is ultimately saving my self. While the cops and large corporations my tell employees to do what they ask nearly any self defense instructor will tell you to resist, if you wanna sit back and put everyone in the stores life in the hands of the crazy person go ahead, I'd rather not take that chance. Show me one example where a civil suite was won on a CCer for shooting someone Commiting armed robbery.

jerbo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry because in this day and age, you never know what you are going to run into anywhere you go and it makes me feel safer to know that i can at least have a chance of protecting myself or my family or anyone else that i think needs to be.

1. The last thing i want to do is shoot someone. I have asked myself what i would do in this situation, and i think i would just try and have my gun ready in case there is any action on the perps case to think they are going to cause bodily harm to anyone. Big difference would be in the line of fire to, someone may be too close to the perp for me to fire. I sure as heck wouldn't want to shoot an innocent bystander.
2. I think showing your weapon would be sufficiant unless they were to close, then i would draw my weapon and be prepared to defend myself.

Jam Master Jay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a gun because I was taught to be prepared. I'd rather have one and not need it than need it and not have it.

In scenario #1 I'd hide, draw my gun, and make sure he didn't come for me. If he leaves without further incident, no problem. I disagree with folks who think that a gun shouldn't be drawn unless you're actually going to fire. I'm not a quick-draw shooter, regardless of practice.

In scenario #2 If it's a guy wandering aimlessly with a knife I'd make my way to my car and observe him and be ready to defend myself or simply call the police. If the guy is coming at me specifically I'd draw and shoot. I've never been in a parking lot with gridlines so I could determine if the guy was within 21'. Once it is evident that the guy is armed and is coming after me and has the reasonable capability of reaching me, he's getting shot.

taaz67

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Second case. As close he closes the distance between you and him . Make ready and discharge .

Hey, all.

This thread is to discuss a few of things:

• Why do you carry?

• In these following scenarios, when do you decide to draw, and, if you do decide to fire, when do you?

1. You're in a convenience store and an armed man comes in. He doesn't see you, but you see him, and he's pointing a gun at the clerk demanding all of the money in the register. Clerk says he'll oblige.

2. You are walking back to your car. You get to your car and from behind some other cars a guy pops up with a knife, and as he has it pointed at you as he walks toward you, he demands your wallet and keys.

• Do you think the use of force continuum applies to civilians? Why or why not?

Latest posts

Top Bottom