Why do you carry? And when do you pull and fire?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phw

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Scenario 1: let the BG have the money. I'm not a marksman under pressure with a 2" snub. The chances are he takes the money and runs.

Scenario 2: pull weapon and shoot multiple times if individual gets within your circle of safety, whatever distance that is.

I will do whatever it takes to be home in time for dinner. I don't plan being a victim.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I carry to have another option in countering any criminal threat of death or great bodily harm to myself or my family. I will draw my fiream if/when I have a reasonable and articulable fear of death or great bodily harm, and doing so will not substantially increase the risk of death or great bodily harm to myself or my family, regardless of the scenario.

^^^^^This sums it up nicely. I agree.

climbtothebeet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why do i carry? its a right, use it. Plus, i love my friends family pets, and home.

1st: stay hidden and draw. if the situation seems to get worse, aim and shoot. no reason to make the perp stand down. he had his chance to not do it.
2nd: If i have my gun, draw, shoot. call the police. go home/court alive. once again, he had his choice.
If i feel the need to protect me or mine. bang/run/hide In any given situation where i feel i need to protect myself, i don't give darn what the law thinks. If my family is involved, there wont be a need to protect myself, it will already be done.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry because I pride myself on being self-reliant. I am responsible for me and mine. It is nice when others offer to help but I cannot rely on others to be there.

Scene 1: Be quiet, seek cover, be a good witness.
Scene 2: Get in your car, lock the doors drive away.

Use of force laws apply to everyone.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry because I can. When family is with me I feel carrying is my job.

1. Agree with staying out of sight and be a good witness.
2. Get in the car and leave. Oh, run over the jerk if he gets in the way.

Yes, definitely. People have a right to protect themselves.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, all.

This thread is to discuss a few of things:

• Why do you carry?

• In these following scenarios, when do you decide to draw, and, if you do decide to fire, when do you?

1. You're in a convenience store and an armed man comes in. He doesn't see you, but you see him, and he's pointing a gun at the clerk demanding all of the money in the register. Clerk says he'll oblige.

2. You are walking back to your car. You get to your car and from behind some other cars a guy pops up with a knife, and as he has it pointed at you as he walks toward you, he demands your wallet and keys.

• Do you think the use of force continuum applies to civilians? Why or why not?

This is just my opinion.

1st scenario: He's getting a gun stuck in the back of his head and he's gonna get a command to drop his F-in gun or else.

2. If he's within 21ft he's getting drawn down on and if he moves one step closer he is getting shot. I didnt see anything about an OKC thunder game so i'mma assume i'm walking back to my car from inside walmart we'll say.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I generally like to be prepared to solve problems. I carry a pistol for the same reason I carry a knife, flashlight, multitool, first aid kit, and several other tools (not all necessarily on my person)--in case I encounter a problem for which that tool is ideally suited. For the pistol, that problem would probably be a criminal attack.

1 & 2: Too many variables to answer. I think CQT class at USSA and ECQC with Craig Douglas go a long way toward preparing someone to move rapidly through the decision tree he/she would face.

First example I would pull and order the criminal to drop his weapon. If he does not comply, I would feel obligated to fire. If you are unable to protect others as well as yourself, what's the point of carrying?

I've shared this link a few times here, but I don't think this lesson can be learned well enough. It addresses a need for an armed individual's mentality which is difficult to cultivate in a class setting--split-second prioritization when faced with a potential fight:
http://www.policeone.com/columnists/lom/articles/134804-Blood-lessons/

Arin Morris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shared this link a few times here, but I don't think this lesson can be learned well enough. It addresses a need for an armed individual's mentality which is difficult to cultivate in a class setting--split-second prioritization when faced with a potential fight:
http://www.policeone.com/columnists/lom/articles/134804-Blood-lessons/

That's a good article. Both situations did not indicate that my family would be present, so I translated them as I was by myself. I would feel no less amount of guilt if the clerk was shot and killed with my inaction as I would in the event an innocent bystander was shot and killed. I figured that's why these questions were asked.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a good article. Both situations did not indicate that my family would be present, so I translated them as I was by myself. I would feel no less amount of guilt if the clerk was shot and killed with my inaction as I would in the event an innocent bystander was shot and killed. I figured that's why these questions were asked.

Not identical scenarios, right. But I think I would feel differently about casualties resulting from my involvement as opposed to my lack of involvement. The larger point is that confronting the robber, whether verbally or physically, could cost lives instead of save them. I'm not saying it should or shouldn't be done. I am saying these factors should weigh heavily enough in the decision as to preclude saying "I'd do it this way...".

I maybe shouldn't have targeted my response specifically at your post. It just reminded me of that article is all.

I also meant to comment on the force continuum question. I believe it is relevant to civilian self-defense. What if an assailant is obviously confused and suffering mental deficiency of some sort? Or a drunken father in view of his children? Lethal force may be justified, but not desirable. It's good to have options.

Latest posts

Top Bottom