Why do you or why don’t you get an FFL license?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I HAD my FFL for 20 years. I HAVENT had my FFL for 15 years.

The list of PROS and CONS is correct.

Inventory, distributor relationships and pricing is key.

No amount of inventory will allow you to carry that exact arm a buyer is looking for. Distributors can't do it.

Volume is the key to success.

Consider, you do $25 transfer, once a month. That comes to 12, equals $300.
$300 covers cost of license. How much TIME do you have in those 12? What other expense? Building, utilities, taxes, advertising, insurance, paperwork, inventory, ......

Get the FFL, make the investment and build a business or go the expensive hobby with lots of hassle and paperwork.

Sometimes I missed not having FFL, but not enough to get another.

garytx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a C&R license years ago. It was nice when purchasing curio & relics, but I let it go.

I have found three FFLs in my area for transfers. Each has indicated if/when I'm purchasing something new from one of the larger commercial websites to contact them first. They may be able to get it for a better price than is indicated on the website, puts a few more dollars in their pocket and might save me a buck or two.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had a C&R for over 15 years and got it back when online retailers gave a discount to license holders, and used it for ID purposes when ordering primers and powders

hipv125

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Literally the only reason I don’t have one is I live in okc in a residential zone and it’s impossible to get one for your home if you live in a residential zone in the city.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had my ffl since 1993 or 1994 and like has been said from the others there’s quite a bit of paper work. I’m extra cautious when doing it just because, well you know, it’s dealing with the guvment.

I only charge charge $20 for a transfer and I do it out of my house. I don’t stock anything unless I have someone crawfish on me which is seldom.

I’ve had the ATF folks inspect me twice since I’ve been in business and they were super nice people to deal with, but then again I keep my stuff in order. I don’t do credit cards, and I don’t own a computer, so I am definitely a small time dealer, but I don’t have to deal with a lot of tire kickers either.

Dealer supply has killed a bunch of my sales since all the crazy buying has started so there’s that to think about. I don’t know what it costs now to get a ffl and state tax permit, but I know with a half dozen transfer’s a year I make a little pocket money.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to revive a thread, but there has been a lot of good input here, I’m hoping for the same. I’m considering getting my type 01 FFL and starting a business cerakoting firearms, firearm parts, and other small non firearm stuff. I have zero desire to sell firearms or build firearms, or anything else retail related. Thoughts on this? I imagine it’s a much better profit margin, but I’m concerned about it just being a giant pain in the ass.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I hate to revive a thread, but there has been a lot of good input here, I’m hoping for the same. I’m considering getting my type 01 FFL and starting a business cerakoting firearms, firearm parts, and other small non firearm stuff. I have zero desire to sell firearms or build firearms, or anything else retail related. Thoughts on this? I imagine it’s a much better profit margin, but I’m concerned about it just being a giant pain in the ass.

I’d definitely use you for cerakoting if you do it

Latest posts

Top Bottom