Why do you use that powder for your handgun ammo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering what criteria people use when selecting a powder for handgun applications. Why did you decide on one powder over all the other options on the market? Was it a certain part of performance (accuracy, recoil, FPS, etc) price, availability, or other characteristic you were looking for?

I tried several different powders and kind of settled on HS-6 for my 9mm loads. not that HS-6 is the best, but it seemed to fit what I was doing at the time.

That decision was based on several things. A double charge of HS-6 would be very visible, works for different weight projectiles and even different calibers, a lot of data available from several different sources, accurate, clean burning, low smoke.

What measurements did you use to determine which powder to use?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only 1 reason I pick one powder over another and that is Accuracy.

Nothing else matters to me.
I do not care if it is dirty because I will just clean the weapon when it needs cleaning.
I am not worried about double charging ever.
I am not in such a big hurry that I can't look into a case and see how much powder is in it.

Same goes for my rifles Accuracy is the only reason I choose a powder.

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only 1 reason I pick one powder over another and that is Accuracy.

Nothing else matters to me.
I do not care if it is dirty because I will just clean the weapon when it needs cleaning.
I am not worried about double charging ever.
I am not in such a big hurry that I can't look into a case and see how much powder is in it.

Same goes for my rifles Accuracy is the only reason I choose a powder.
^This

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. I had it on the shelf. Load listed in book.
Worked up ladder test. Found accurate. load.

2. No accurate load? Repeat 1. No other. powder in shelf? Get powder.

3. What powder can be found, that is listed. in book? Buy powder, repeat 1.

4. Repeat until ACCURATE load is found.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run pistol on a progressive, the powder dispenser doesn’t care for flake powders. By that I mean (it was my experience) drawing random cases off to weigh the charge I would see variances of (plus or minus) .2 grain. For the life of me I never could really measure the vertical spread on that at 3 yards🤦‍♂️
But I don’t care for .4 grain swings like anyone else.
For this reason I prefer ball type powders for bulk (practice) loading of pistol.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a lot of Promo. Because I have a lot of Promo.

I have a lot of Promo because I bought it cheap some years ago. Cheap; like $90 for 8 pounds cheap. I bought several.

Promo works in almost anything: rifle, handgun, whatever - at least for casual shooting, and lead bullet shooting. Most of my shooting is casual, with lead bullets. It won't give top velocity, but paper and varmints don't take a lot of velocity kill.

Short answer: I use that powder because it works and I'm frugal.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I have found Titegroup to produce excellent accuracy in just about every non-magnum pistol cartridge I've put it in. 9mm, .40S&W, .38SPL (same 4.4gr charge as the. 40), .45ACP, and 10mm (for just plinking).

Unique is one of the most universal powders out there for .357, 41, and .44 magnums, but damn if it isn't dirty. Dad got me introduced to that one years ago and I just stuck with it. Great for shotgun stuff too (most pistol powders are). Apparently Unique is "now cleaner burning", but the old stuff almost looks like you're shooting a black powder substitute.

I have a pound or two of some of the hot rod powders for specific magnum cartridges (H110, Longshot, 2400, Blue and Green Dot, 800X etc...), but for pure enjoyment plinking = Titegroup and Universal Clays.

Latest posts

Top Bottom