Why do you use that powder for your handgun ammo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started with Bullseye cause that was one of the ones mentioned to me when i started and was easy for me to find at the time and i have several bottles of it on the shelf so i still use it mainly but i have acquired others just havent got around to trying them.

panayoti

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For rifles my criteria is accuracy.
For hand guns accuracy and cost.
The problem is I am a compulsive powder tryer. Mostly with respect to rifle powders. With pistols not as much. 38, 45acp, 45 colt shoot the old standbys equally well. (bullseye,unique, 231). The 9mm and 40 sw are a little more finicky especially with lead boolits. Good results with vit n340($$), 231, blue dot.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because none of the smokeless powders will make enough fire and smoke.

Attachments

• 32109251-D053-45A8-9297-9CCFFBACED60.jpeg
    32109251-D053-45A8-9297-9CCFFBACED60.jpeg
    14.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 8337E4AA-F33D-43F2-89B0-1F2784C38E5E.jpeg
    8337E4AA-F33D-43F2-89B0-1F2784C38E5E.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 0

R D Harmon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use Unique in all my pistols because I was told years ago, '75 if I remember right, it would work good in a .357 using cast. Since I have acquired about all calibers from .380 to .45s. I have been able to achieve good accuracy in all of my pistols. I buy in 8lb jugs. I am sure there is better powders but I am lazy. It works great for me. Being a dirty powder does not bother me because I was I was used to shooting Black powder. I use Varget in my ARs. It works great for me.

Chris Hayes

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is no "one" powder to me, for pistols.

10mm and .40 and .38 special, and .45. LongShot powder. Extreme velocity capable yet not needed (in 10mm). Extremely clean if you get it into the pressure range.

.357 4277
TiteGroup and Unique, while not my favorite powders, are 2 the I get nervous about if I don't have at least a pound of each. Because either powder will work in everything I reload for.

9mm CFE pistol or TiteGroup. Either give me velocities I'm interested in and good accuracy.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About all I use is H110, 4277 and Lil Gun. They cover what I need. I only use a powder if its the most accurate for a given caliber or it burns at a good bit lower pressure for the same velocity, Lil Gun does the lower pressure thing for me in mags and 22Hornet.

Last edited:

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About all I use is H110, 4277 and Lil Gun. They cover what I need. I only use a powder if its the most accurate for a given caliber or it burns at a good bit lower pressure for the same velocity, Lil Gun does that for me in mags and 22Hornet.
W296 is better 🤭

Edit:
Need to supply “proof”🤦‍♂️

You read it on the internet=proof 😊👋

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
That decision was based on several things. A double charge of HS-6 would be very visible, works for different weight projectiles and even different calibers, a lot of data available from several different sources, accurate, clean burning, low smoke.
Curious as to what a "double charge" is. Double charges usually are bad. Like missing eyes and fingers bad.
What measurements did you use to determine which powder to use?
Availability and purpose - 44SPL and 45 Colt are not getting the same powder as say 9ball or 45ACP. 38SPL probably isn't getting powders for 357 and 44 Mag. You can do it but why? Unless it's absolutely all you have and your only option.

I use these for reference for determining powder and loads for what I have on hand. Books too.
https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center
I subscribe to this as well

👇 👇 👇 👇
https://loaddata.com/Home

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
W296 is better 🤭

Edit:
Need to supply “proof”🤦‍♂️

You read it on the internet=proof 😊👋
All I stated is the only pistol powders I currently use and why. It is what I use and works for me in my rigs,

And since you were so cordial, I don't need to supply you with proof of anything, Which by the way is about the same amount of "proof as you supply. Since this is how you chose to frame your first comment to me it WILL be your first and last. Have a good life.

Last edited:

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the mid 80's the gunsmith that I worked for on Saturdays told me he'd teach me how to reload for my 45ACP and .357. He told me to get my bench and Rock Chucker set up and then go get dies, a pound of W231, some 158 gr. and 230 gr. jacketed bullets and a couple hundred Winch. primers for both. I picked up what he told me to get and he came over one Sunday and showed me how to reload .357 and 45ACP......I picked up bottle neck rifle cases on my own later beginning with the 6.5x55 Swedish round.

I shoot considerably more handgun now (especially 45ACP) than I do rifle cartridges and I have several suitable powders for handguns like W231, Unique, H110, 2400, Bullseye and CFE Pistol on hand but it seems like I can load just about anything I want with W231 and that's what I normally fall back on.

w231.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom