Why I Carry a Gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel confident that when it comes time to "ante up" all of you will do fine. Especially when your loved ones are at stake.

Danny, my hat is off to you and the others that make up your church security team. Do you and your team get together and run a few scenarios? Have you been on the range with ALL of them and observed their gun handling skills (read:safety) and marksmanship? Do your team mates have the same type of combat mindset as yourself?

My church security basically consists of myself. Of course, we only have a congregation of about 25-30 people on any given Sunday. A buddy of mine, who is a Norman PD officer comes to church maybe once every 6 weeks or so. I always breathe a little easier when he is there. He and I think alike and train alike. I trust him with my life.

There are a couple of men in my church who are "gun guys" but I think they would falter when it came right down to the nut cuttin.

It's a very tough job finding those you can trust to "man up" when push comes to shove and lead and gunpowder fills the air. Are the members of your team up for the battle? Are you? Am I? Sadly, it's not usually something you learn from by our mistakes, because a mistake could cause a life...maybe your own or mine. There are no points for 2nd place.

Are you ready?

Last edited:

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One time many many moons ago when I lived in Seattle, I had walked into the grocery store that I shopped at, and found out that it had just been robbed. When I got done at the grocery, I dropped by my gunsmith, and he gave me some of the soundest advice that I have ever gotten. I asked what I should do if that ever happened while I was in the store and he said that unless shots were fired or we were told to lie on the floor, or were being herded into the back room he'd do nothing. The money is insured and nobody gets hurt. If shots were fired, or we were being made to go in the back room, then he'd do something, because the chances were good that we would die.

That was more than 40 years ago, and that advice has stuck with me ever since.

What that savvy old gunsmith taught me was the value of restraint.

I don't carry my S&W to be a white knight, or look for opportunities to fight evildoers; I carry it in the event that I am caught in a situation through no fault of my own, where its' use becomes necessary to save my, or my family's life.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know this is not the scenario you are both describing, but I just want to add... my understanding of the SDA is that it does not authorize you to ENTER a dangerous situation to rescue others, except your immediate family members, spouse, and I think your employer or an employee. It's pretty specific anyway.

The example in our training is if you see someone robbing a Quick Trip with a gun by looking through the window, you cannot legally go in to stop them.
Call 911 and be a good witness was their advice.
Actually, I believe you can legally. Whether or not you should is a whole 'nother matter. Nothing in the SDA precludes your intervening, but in general, it's not advisable to do so except with family, etc.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I feel confident that when it comes time to "ante up" all of you will do fine. Especially when your loved ones are at stake.

Are you ready?

I do not think anyone can answer that question with out having gone through a situation. I was in the military but never seen combat, I have been robbed at gunpoint while at Basic training at Ft Lost in the woods and kept my cool there, had a man go after my son physically and how I handled that tends to make me think if you are after my people I will do what is needed.
But taking someones life ........ Am I ready..., hope I NEVER have too find out.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, I believe you can legally. Whether or not you should is a whole 'nother matter. Nothing in the SDA precludes your intervening, but in general, it's not advisable to do so except with family, etc.
DANGIT, you made me read it again... LOL!

But you're right, I couldn't find it in the SDA. I clearly remember it being discussed in training though, and remember one person even asking, so if my fiance is in there I can't go in? The instructors answer was no, unless she is your wife, according to the law. It was in the context of using deadly force to defend someone ELSE.

It could have been something that changed in the SDA when open carry was passed (I took it when licenses were only for concealed carry), or maybe it came from some other statute? I did some checking to see if I could find where it came from, and couldn't find anything specific... all I found was this, which only proves that someone else thinks this is Oklahoma law.

"Most states allow you to use deadly force to protect yourself, and other innocents as well. Some states specifically define third parties. For example in Oklahoma, these other innocents are “his or her husband, wife, parent, child, master, mistress, and servant.”

https://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/deadly-force/

But I couldn't find where THEY got that info either, so I'm not sure... but I think you're right that it's not in the SDA.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But you're right, I couldn't find it in the SDA. I clearly remember it being discussed in training though, and remember one person even asking, so if my fiance is in there I can't go in? The instructors answer was no, unless she is your wife, according to the law. It was in the context of using deadly force to defend someone ELSE.
It's entirely possible that the law read that way when you took the training. The law is a moving target (no pun intended) in general, and the SDA in particular has seen some major changes over the last few years. F'rinstance, when the SDA was passed, you had no requirement to withdraw, but the protections of the "stand your ground" law didn't extend beyond your own property; it wasn't until several years later that it was extended to any place you could legally be.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is EXACTLY right. Money and property can be replaced. If that's all a scrote is after, let him have it. Human life is what's worth fighting for, not materialistic crap.

Good post! :clap3:

Amen to that. I carry because its too heavy to carry a cop around with you every where you go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom