Why I Carry a Gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I waited 45 minutes for the police to arrive on a felony. I was sitting on the guy in my front yard.

That's hilarious. Was he face down in the dirt? Were you casually humming a tune and using the back of his noggin like a set of bongos to drum along with the song?

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was a very very weird and tumultuous time. I had a co-worker from Dallas helping me for a week. He was visiting my home for supper.
He did some bad things with my 14 year old daughter while I was in the back yard cooking steaks. My wife came out to me and explained some things and said she wanted him gone! I finally found out what happened, called 911, told them I would be making a citizen's arrest and have the guy in cuffs waiting on them. I confronted him and he actually owned up to what he did! Wife didn't want him in the house. I was professional, and kept my cool which was hard as hell! I so wanted to bounce him off the walls and such but I didn't want to sully the arrest. It took OCPD 45 minutes to get there.

The detective working the case called me the next day. I and my daughter went in for interviews. He was charged and spent 15 years because we did it the right way.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man that story is terrible. I hate that your family had to go through that. Not sure many folks would have had the restraint you did including myself.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Man that story is terrible. I hate that your family had to go through that. Not sure many folks would have had the restraint you did including myself.
I agree. What a terrible thing for your family to go through. I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to be as professional as you were in that situation.

I have five daughters and four stepdaughters. I think the guy would have had some extra lumps, bumps, bruises, and cuts and maybe a couple of bullet holes by the time the police arrived to pick up his carcass.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The county where I reside contains
1,378 sq mi. and supposedly has around 45,000 residents (although I believe this is far short of the correct figure). There might be four Deputies on duty during the night hours. If trouble comes knocking, you’d best be ready to repel or neutralize it before an Officer arrives.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh man, suddenly its not so hilarious anymore and I am sorry I said so above. You exercised a great deal of restraint, and like others, I don't know that I would have been able to. Yes, you did the right thing and I'm glad the perv is in jail. Again, @Snattlerake, I m sorry for my flippant comment. I hope he rots in there.
Damn, this shook me up, I HATE a child molester. I was a real good Marine; restraining violence was not our usual manner of doing things. I don't think I'd be a good LEO, where there are times it is necessary.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn, this shook me up, I HATE a child molester. I was a real good Marine; restraining violence was not our usual manner of doing things. I don't think I'd be a good LEO, where there are times it is necessary.
My Criminal Investigations prof was a retired cop, and he shared an incident from when he was a young patrol officer in California (I took the class around 1990, so the event probably would've been in the late '60s or early '70s).

He was on patrol when he got a call about a disturbance in an alley between/behind a couple of apartment buildings. When he arrived, he found a severely drunken longshoreman raping a six year old girl. He said it was a really bad scene, with a lot of blood, and his first job was to get the guy off the girl, which he managed to do without too much difficulty (the guy was big, but way too drunk to fight). He got the guy cuffed, then went and helped the little girl until the paramedics arrived.

By this time, quite a crowd had developed, and his next job was to keep the crowd (read: angry mob) from killing the guy. This he managed to do, getting the guy stuffed in the patrol car and out of the scene as soon as backup arrived, and hauled him down to the precinct house.

Up to this point, the guy was relatively unscathed, and my prof's professionalism had held out.

And it continued to hold out until they got into the station, whereupon the bad guy proceeded to trip and fall up the stairs. Twice.

FWIW, the prof said he always regretted that last part, and that he should've let the system handle it. Now, having several nieces, I'm not sure I could've been as restrained as he was...

Latest posts

Top Bottom