Why I "think" I don't need a Glock 43x for EDC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When the 43X & 48 first came out i shot 100 rounds through each.Accuracy was pretty close to the same so i bought the 43X.I do have a sig 365XL that i like to carry but 95% of the time i choose the 43X.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carried the 43X for a year. I never did like the 48. Right now I'm back down to a 43 with a Vickers +2 for summertime carry.
I'd own another 43X someday.
I acquired a Keepers AIWB for the 43/43x/48 but it's just sitting there waiting on me to fiddle with it. It just sits in leather right behind my hip which is a lot easier most days.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Although I disagree with all your points for not carrying one, I think you have already convinced yourself you don't need a 43x so you now have talking points to support it.

I have one and I think it's a great gun and it hides really well. Most of the time I hip carry and put my shirt over it. I'm not on a spy mission so if someone sees an irregular bump on my side fat, who cares?

I very seldom app carry, it pinches the sh*t out of my FUDA and unless I have a heavier shirt, you can see it. I do carry in the small of my back alot, especially in the summer, so the flat gun works great.

I think this is where you convinced yourself already.
My .380s are just as comfortable as my 43x

It's pretty flat and unless you look like an emaciated POW, you're probably good.

You run 380s with more than 10rd mags? I'm good with 10rds plus an extra mag. If I need more ammo, I f@cked up.

I never heard this. I have the standard mags...how many rds do shield mags hold to make it top heavy?

It comes with two already.
- For side carry, I think it would be one of the most desirable choices

- They make an OEM +2 mag for the ruger; it is best as a spare vs the 10rd if you want max comfort & concealment

- Shield mags are 15 and I saw some comments that the heavier handle with shorter barrel made the 43x less optimal for carry vs the OEM mags. Doesn't mean that would be the case for all people in all situations of course, but I appreciated the perspectives

I think another reason someone mentioned is there is a mental block to using aftermarket mags. For me, the biggest appeal for the 43x is the option for the Shield mags...but historically, I have been one of those "what if" skeptics, and although i didn't mention that in my original post, one guy mentioend he had the same concerns. To get guaranteed glock reliability, I would not run a pro-mag, so ya know. But I might still be willing to do it if I was new to glock and didn't already own others; hard to say since that isn't the case.
I carried mine all day IWB crossbreed holster today and was just wearing cargo shorts and a Dixon Hawaiian shirt. I don’t think anyone noticed the gun at all.

Or if they did they weren’t worried. I was in Amarillo Texas after all…
Yeah, I can carry a 19 in cargo shorts and an untucked button down, but in gym shorts and tshirt which is my typical warm day, anything with a longer handle feels weird.
And now Shield Arms makes 9 round mags for the 43

SHIELD ARMS Z9 MAGAZINE STARTER KITS FOR GLOCK 43 | Brownells
Yep...I also have been debating that, but I came to the conclusion that it defeats the purpose of the short handle. Same reason I don't run an extension on my 26, but the spare mag can have one. I think if I were going to do something, I would try the Maguts option for the 43; not sure if I'd go flush or the "tiny bit" longer +2. But again, it gets into the whole aftermarket thing, and I am wanting to find something that makes me happy in OEM trim. I think a 43/48 team for summer/winter could work if you didn't want to mess with the Shields on a 43x.

The 26 is still hard to beat for carry and I used to hate those without some sort of extension until I really began to actually carry much of the time.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Uhh, because it's a 9mm?
Uhh, because it's a 9mm?
It was good enough for the Germans...modern ammo makes it even better...the whole argument about 9mm being crap is akin to the rumor that just won't die about Pennzoil having too much paraffin wax in it LOL...The stuff gets repeated for decades and then when what may have been partially true at one point is taken as true decades later.

Having said that, my dad loved his 1911 and told me the stories he heard that we've all heard about the Japs going down with one shot in WWII. I do not think there is anything wrong with 45...I just like more ammo and less weight. 40cal...neh. Too close to 9mm for me. At least 45 is significant enough diff to justify if stopping power is your thing.

I do wonder how well a compact 45 would have done in the 40-50yrd "Dicken drill" though...I think 9amm saved the day there!

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been contemplating it since they came out, and almost got one last week but drug my feet and the last one I knew of in the metro area sold the night before I finally went to look at it (again LOL).

After watching lots of reviews and reading comments, combined with my own rationale, I think I might have put it to bed finally.

First let me say that in order of importance, here are the things that I look at for an EDC gun:

1.) comfort to carry
2.) capacity
3.) shootability (including effective range & accuracy)
4.) stopping power

I wanted to share some points as to why I don't think I need one (no particular order), and see what others say.

- I already own other options that give me carry flexibility (hence why spend more money)
- I am such a stickler for comfort so I switched to .380 for 90% of carry situations
- The 43x handle length doesn't work for me in most carry situations (I don't wear a lot of coats and sweatshirts)
- The 43x capacity is pointless unless I spend the extra money to upgrade to the Shield Arms mags and mag release (vs having other guns that do 10+1 that are smaller)
- If the 43x has the Shield mags, some people complain it is top heavy when carrying appendix (the barrel isn't nested far enough to offset the heavier handle so there can be movement or comfort issues)
- The OEM mags are not part of my regular glock "system" (e.g. 17 mag can fit in 26, etc.)

If I didn't own any other guns except for the .380, then I would consider buying a 48 for the other 10% carry situations. I also thought about getting a plus base-plate for the regular 43, but then you are extending the handle length which defeats the purpose of what's important to me.

I think in my situation, for the 10% where I don't choose .380, I could choose the 19 or the 26 with a spare 19mag on hand. I think a 26 is timeless for EDC gun, and especially if you carry a larger mag as a spare.

What says the community on my thoughts and the 43x??? This isn't a debate either, if you have a 43x, I am glad to hear why you choose it and especially if you also own other 9mm glocks. I think the 43x is a fine gun and fine choice for those who find the rght niche for it in their carry lineup.

This thread is really just to affirm my rationale and finalize my decision so I stop driving my wife crazy discussing it.
Just carry a full size gun.
I have been contemplating it since they came out, and almost got one last week but drug my feet and the last one I knew of in the metro area sold the night before I finally went to look at it (again LOL).

After watching lots of reviews and reading comments, combined with my own rationale, I think I might have put it to bed finally.

First let me say that in order of importance, here are the things that I look at for an EDC gun:

1.) comfort to carry
2.) capacity
3.) shootability (including effective range & accuracy)
4.) stopping power

I wanted to share some points as to why I don't think I need one (no particular order), and see what others say.

- I already own other options that give me carry flexibility (hence why spend more money)
- I am such a stickler for comfort so I switched to .380 for 90% of carry situations
- The 43x handle length doesn't work for me in most carry situations (I don't wear a lot of coats and sweatshirts)
- The 43x capacity is pointless unless I spend the extra money to upgrade to the Shield Arms mags and mag release (vs having other guns that do 10+1 that are smaller)
- If the 43x has the Shield mags, some people complain it is top heavy when carrying appendix (the barrel isn't nested far enough to offset the heavier handle so there can be movement or comfort issues)
- The OEM mags are not part of my regular glock "system" (e.g. 17 mag can fit in 26, etc.)

If I didn't own any other guns except for the .380, then I would consider buying a 48 for the other 10% carry situations. I also thought about getting a plus base-plate for the regular 43, but then you are extending the handle length which defeats the purpose of what's important to me.

I think in my situation, for the 10% where I don't choose .380, I could choose the 19 or the 26 with a spare 19mag on hand. I think a 26 is timeless for EDC gun, and especially if you carry a larger mag as a spare.

What says the community on my thoughts and the 43x??? This isn't a debate either, if you have a 43x, I am glad to hear why you choose it and especially if you also own other 9mm glocks. I think the 43x is a fine gun and fine choice for those who find the rght niche for it in their carry lineup.

This thread is really just to affirm my rationale and finalize my decision so I stop driving my wife crazy discussing it.
carry as much gun as you can. Stopping power is really measurable by HE explosives and canon balls 😭 Id still own a 43 for running to stop dogs from biting me.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was good enough for the Germans...modern ammo makes it even better...the whole argument about 9mm being crap is akin to the rumor that just won't die about Pennzoil having too much paraffin wax in it LOL...The stuff gets repeated for decades and then when what may have been partially true at one point is taken as true decades later.

Having said that, my dad loved his 1911 and told me the stories he heard that we've all heard about the Japs going down with one shot in WWII. I do not think there is anything wrong with 45...I just like more ammo and less weight. 40cal...neh. Too close to 9mm for me. At least 45 is significant enough diff to justify if stopping power is your thing.

I do wonder how well a compact 45 would have done in the 40-50yrd "Dicken drill" though...I think 9amm saved the day there!
People who say 9mm isnt good enough should go watch the hundreds of shooting videos of LE killing people with 9mms.

Latest posts

Top Bottom