Why I "think" I don't need a Glock 43x for EDC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well that's saying something from a law man. I'm sure I'll eventually get a chance to shoot one. At this point, that's a must before I spend money on one. Thx for the feedback. I've seen complaints about the double-stack glocks go both ways. Some claim they like them better because they have large hands, while others have said the opposite (meaning they thought the wide grip fit them well even if a woman). I've also seen the same on the single-stacks (especially 43x)...some with large hands saying too skinny, while others saying fit them well.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a 43X I've carried for about 2 or 3 years now. I like it a lot. I'm not a big guy and I don't find it difficult to hide at all. I carry it in a Comp-Tac IWB or a Comp-Tac kydex belt holster depending on what I'm wearing. It's very flat so it conceals quite easily. I have some Gen 2 Shield mags but don't carry them. I may in the future.

A little over a year ago I bought a Ruger Max 9. Pretty potent little gun. It's smaller than the 43X and standard mags hold more than the Glock OEM mags. But, they hold less than the Shield mags.

I don't shoot the Ruger nearly as well as I do the 43X and I don't know why. To be honest, the Ruger doesn't want to seem to shoot as well as the Glock. Using the same ammo I can always shoot the 43X to point of aim and keep it there. The Ruger just wants to spread the shots out...not to a great degree, but it's noticeable.

Having said that, I tend to present the 43X slightly muzzle high from the draw without constant practice. I tend to present the Ruger to the left. I'm guessing that's a function of how my hand grips each gun and the grip shapes and angles are considerably different.

Aside from a massive amount of takeup on the first shot from the Ruger the triggers are probably equal with the edge going to the Ruger. The reset on the Glock is more pronounced but it feels like it takes more effort to get the Glock to fire. Reset on the Ruger isn't as distinct as the Glock but it's not bad.

Otherwise, they're equally easy to manipulate and I can't tell a difference in recoil really.

So, despite the capacity advantage (standard magazines) I still carry the Glock. I've shot them so long I'm really comfortable with them and the Ruger doesn't do anything better than the Glock to the point I'll make the switch.

Some side x sides:

43X vs Max 9 A.jpg
43X vs Max 9 B.jpg
43X vs Max 9 C.jpg
43X vs Max 9 D.jpg

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to have a love/hate relationship with the G26. That damned hump just did not fit my hand at all. But, because of what you mentioned about the magazine interchangeablity, I suffered through the pain.

But when the 43, was released (after MUCH fanfare and build up) I thought it was the perfect off duty pistol. I still like the 43, but it has that stupid hump as well. It's a little more subtle and not quite as noticeable, but it's there nevertheless.

But...when the 43X was introduced and I finally got to hold and fire one, I "divorced" the G26 and never looked back. The 43X may be my very favorite Glock ever.

I still have the 43x I traded with you to get. Shield S15 mags work perfectly in it. I like it, I like the 43 also, yep, have some shield mags for that too, lol. As long as they work, I don't care.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been contemplating it since they came out, and almost got one last week but drug my feet and the last one I knew of in the metro area sold the night before I finally went to look at it (again LOL).

After watching lots of reviews and reading comments, combined with my own rationale, I think I might have put it to bed finally.

First let me say that in order of importance, here are the things that I look at for an EDC gun:

1.) comfort to carry
2.) capacity
3.) shootability (including effective range & accuracy)
4.) stopping power

I wanted to share some points as to why I don't think I need one (no particular order), and see what others say.

- I already own other options that give me carry flexibility (hence why spend more money)
- I am such a stickler for comfort so I switched to .380 for 90% of carry situations
- The 43x handle length doesn't work for me in most carry situations (I don't wear a lot of coats and sweatshirts)
- The 43x capacity is pointless unless I spend the extra money to upgrade to the Shield Arms mags and mag release (vs having other guns that do 10+1 that are smaller)
- If the 43x has the Shield mags, some people complain it is top heavy when carrying appendix (the barrel isn't nested far enough to offset the heavier handle so there can be movement or comfort issues)
- The OEM mags are not part of my regular glock "system" (e.g. 17 mag can fit in 26, etc.)

If I didn't own any other guns except for the .380, then I would consider buying a 48 for the other 10% carry situations. I also thought about getting a plus base-plate for the regular 43, but then you are extending the handle length which defeats the purpose of what's important to me.

I think in my situation, for the 10% where I don't choose .380, I could choose the 19 or the 26 with a spare 19mag on hand. I think a 26 is timeless for EDC gun, and especially if you carry a larger mag as a spare.

What says the community on my thoughts and the 43x??? This isn't a debate either, if you have a 43x, I am glad to hear why you choose it and especially if you also own other 9mm glocks. I think the 43x is a fine gun and fine choice for those who find the rght niche for it in their carry lineup.

This thread is really just to affirm my rationale and finalize my decision so I stop driving my wife crazy discussing it.
I love my Shield 43X MOS. Be happy to let you finger f*ck it at a range and you'll suddenly be back in the market again.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am seriously thinking about getting a G48 and then I can switch between configurations like legos (43/43x). I just have to get over the aftermarket mag woes first LOL

theman4bran

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I have been contemplating it since they came out, and almost got one last week but drug my feet and the last one I knew of in the metro area sold the night before I finally went to look at it (again LOL).

After watching lots of reviews and reading comments, combined with my own rationale, I think I might have put it to bed finally.

First let me say that in order of importance, here are the things that I look at for an EDC gun:

1.) comfort to carry
2.) capacity
3.) shootability (including effective range & accuracy)
4.) stopping power

I wanted to share some points as to why I don't think I need one (no particular order), and see what others say.

- I already own other options that give me carry flexibility (hence why spend more money)
- I am such a stickler for comfort so I switched to .380 for 90% of carry situations
- The 43x handle length doesn't work for me in most carry situations (I don't wear a lot of coats and sweatshirts)
- The 43x capacity is pointless unless I spend the extra money to upgrade to the Shield Arms mags and mag release (vs having other guns that do 10+1 that are smaller)
- If the 43x has the Shield mags, some people complain it is top heavy when carrying appendix (the barrel isn't nested far enough to offset the heavier handle so there can be movement or comfort issues)
- The OEM mags are not part of my regular glock "system" (e.g. 17 mag can fit in 26, etc.)

If I didn't own any other guns except for the .380, then I would consider buying a 48 for the other 10% carry situations. I also thought about getting a plus base-plate for the regular 43, but then you are extending the handle length which defeats the purpose of what's important to me.

I think in my situation, for the 10% where I don't choose .380, I could choose the 19 or the 26 with a spare 19mag on hand. I think a 26 is timeless for EDC gun, and especially if you carry a larger mag as a spare.

What says the community on my thoughts and the 43x??? This isn't a debate either, if you have a 43x, I am glad to hear why you choose it and especially if you also own other 9mm glocks. I think the 43x is a fine gun and fine choice for those who find the rght niche for it in their carry lineup.

This thread is really just to affirm my rationale and finalize my decision so I stop driving my wife crazy discussing it.
The 43X is great for appendix carry especially with the vanguard
https://rcsgear.com/vanguard-2-stan..._medium=newsletter&utm_source=rcs-mailinglist

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 43X is great for appendix carry especially with the vanguard
https://rcsgear.com/vanguard-2-stan..._medium=newsletter&utm_source=rcs-mailinglist
I thought this thread was done but since you mentioned it, the biggest concern I have even over comfort is safety...but I hate kydex....so if using padded nylon holster, I just don't trust the striker fired guns without an external safety. Looks like a good option though, does it mar the finish on the polymer? I've had other kydex holders make shiny spots (minor but still annoying). Neighbor told me that someone makes kydex with felt inside to prevent that, but I don't recall the brand.

Anyone know?

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought this thread was done but since you mentioned it, the biggest concern I have even over comfort is safety...but I hate kydex....so if using padded nylon holster, I just don't trust the striker fired guns without an external safety. Looks like a good option though, does it mar the finish on the polymer? I've had other kydex holders make shiny spots (minor but still annoying). Neighbor told me that someone makes kydex with felt inside to prevent that, but I don't recall the brand.

Anyone know?
Garrett or Tucker Gunleather.

Latest posts

Top Bottom