Why is Guymon not the hottest place to live right now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way it was explained to me, the water table in that area was supposed to keep it full, not runoff water, but with the increased amount of pivot irrigation in the area, the water table dropped alot.

Yeah. The farmers and ranchers in the area told the Gov that the river has been dropping a lot ever since people started putting in center pivot irrigation. They just thought they were mad because the took the land via eminent domain.

Farmers and Ranchers were right though. That river dried up.

I’ve seen it run twice.

When they were building the dam for Optima Lake, I lived out in Cimarron County. I knew one of the heavy equipment guys that worked on the dam and asked how it would ever fill since the river practically didn't exist. He told me that the water ran underground and would eventually fill it.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When they were building the dam for Optima Lake, I lived out in Cimarron County. I knew one of the heavy equipment guys that worked on the dam and asked how it would ever fill since the river practically didn't exist. He told me that the water ran underground and would eventually fill it.
Thats what the Corps of Engineers thought too LMAO

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah. The farmers and ranchers in the area told the Gov that the river has been dropping a lot ever since people started putting in center pivot irrigation. They just thought they were mad because the took the land via eminent domain.

Farmers and Ranchers were right though. That river dried up.

I’ve seen it run twice.
Hey Pond side real estate is cheap there now...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The way it was explained to me, the water table in that area was supposed to keep it full, not runoff water, but with the increased amount of pivot irrigation in the area, the water table dropped alot.
The entire Ogalala aquifer which was the source of that "water table" has dropped many feet over the years. The engineers didn't foresee the increase in irrigation and the lack of water in the pothole lakes that supply and refresh the aquifer.
That aquifer is huge covering many states.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The entire Ogalala aquifer which was the source of that "water table" has dropped many feet over the years. The engineers didn't foresee the increase in irrigation and the lack of water in the pothole lakes that supply and refresh the aquifer.
That aquifer is huge covering many states.
The Ogalala aquifer is large indeed, stemming from NE covering KS and CO I think and slightly into OK. Its deep ground water but not as deep as the base of Optima Lake.
They screwed the poodle building a lake dam in the OK panhandle.
An old man named Bill Gamle worked at ODOT as a consultant. Retired Army Corps of engineers. He was probably 80 something when I met him and I had gone to a meeting in Boise City to a big realignment project initiation meeting. a 2 day trip because it took 6 hours to get there but after we left the meeting that next morning, I wanted to detour to see Optima Lake, and I was driving the van of 7 folks. So we went north and found the boat ramp, drove down it to a 2 path trail, followed that down and around to what looked like a 1 acre pond.
Next day at the office, me and some co workers met at the breakroom for a 15 min. coffee break and Bill would meet us 1-2 times a week. He sat down and (I had heard he was lead engineer on Optima before retiring there) so I said, Hey Bill, I went to Boise yesterday and we stopped off at Optima Lake.
He pushed away from the break table and stomped off with his bad limp and started mumbling curse words. I didn't hear all he was saying but I made out "son of a B****" . it was pretty funny but I had no idea he was that sensitive about it. He's passed away now but he was a good old man.

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Ogalala aquifer is large indeed, stemming from NE covering KS and CO I think and slightly into OK. Its deep ground water but not as deep as the base of Optima Lake.

This is a map I found online showing the extent of the Ogalala aquifer, and it looks like part of it goes down into Texas.

Ogallala-Aquifer.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom