Why is Guymon not the hottest place to live right now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, you have to remember that I grew up in the Panhandle and worked in agriculture for a number of years, so I was pretty knowledgeable of where the irrigation was going on and from what aquifer it was being pulled.
I wasnt disputing you and yes, I remember your stories from the past in the Panhandle.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasnt disputing you and yes, I remember your stories from the past in the Panhandle.

Oh, I know you weren't disputing me. I was just pointing out that the aquifer went further south. Also, the Panhandle still tends to surprise me. When I was growing up there in Cimarron County, I never saw Pronghorn Antelope, yet when we were back that way a couple of years or so ago to visit family, we saw some just south of town about 2 miles. Then, when we went on a drive west of Kenton, we saw a Bighorn Sheep that I had never seen in the area either.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, I know you weren't disputing me. I was just pointing out that the aquifer went further south. Also, the Panhandle still tends to surprise me. When I was growing up there in Cimarron County, I never saw Pronghorn Antelope, yet when we were back that way a couple of years or so ago to visit family, we saw some just south of town about 2 miles. Then, when we went on a drive west of Kenton, we saw a Bighorn Sheep that I had never seen in the area either.
I saw some Pronghorn as well a couple weeks ago. First time that I’ve seen them that far east.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw some Pronghorn as well a couple weeks ago. First time that I’ve seen them that far east.
I saw some too while driving between Guymon and Boise City a few years back while on the way to an Elk Hunt about daylight. Had the cruise control on 85. I was so fixated on them that I didn't see the OHP cruiser coming from the opposite direction. If I saw a vehicle coming, I'd kick the cruise control off and be legal until getting by them and then back up to 85.
Totally missed that guy, so Tx County got a little fine money from me.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw some too while driving between Guymon and Boise City a few years back while on the way to an Elk Hunt about daylight. Had the cruise control on 85. I was so fixated on them that I didn't see the OHP cruiser coming from the opposite direction. If I saw a vehicle coming, I'd kick the cruise control off and be legal until getting by them and then back up to 85.
Totally missed that guy, so Tx County got a little fine money from me.

Your aren't the first to try to speed through that part of the Panhandle.

Of course, I used to do 80 mph between Keyes and my "then girlfriend's" home in NW Texas County. But, I never got a ticket.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score

77F33B81-A108-44F4-B373-39ABEADC4021.jpeg
753C35CE-C8B8-436E-93EF-90BE51670D93.jpeg
DD2027E6-0B63-4CE3-90C6-121A3DEDE040.jpeg

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up traveling to Texas county just south of Elkhart Ks.every year for pheasant season. We had permission from the Fowler brothers. He would let us plug in to his electric and he always refused payment.
Farmers would regularly stop and talk. Usually they would offer up some fields to hunt.
There was a farmer who looked just like Roy Orbison.He had Orbison pictures and memorabilia on his walls. As a kid,I was certain Roy had retired to the panhandle.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom