Why is Guymon not the hottest place to live right now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you ever get the hankerin' do this-
Go north out of Boise to Kenton. Go west out of Kenton through the mesas and valleys and come out through Sugarite Canyon at Raton. It's one of my favorite drives in Oklahoma/New Mexico. Most of it is dirt.

Excellent drive, although I haven't done the Sugarite Canyon part yet. We went west of Kenton and then when the road for Capulin came up, we went south to Capulin and then back through Clayton to my home town of Keyes, OK.

All of the above pictures were taken in New Mexico.

Kenton and Black Mesa Area Photos

Lake Carl Etling State Park - Near Kenton, OK

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was it this one?

I used to spend the summers at my grandparents farm outside of Perryton.
One day while I was riding on the fender of the tractor with my grandpa he suddenly stopped and said “One day you’ll inherit all of this.” I looked all around and replied “Even the tree? Will I get the tree 🌲 to?” He laughed and said “If your uncle doesn’t set it on fire or chop it down you’ll get the tree too!” One tree on 640 acres and it’s still the only one 54 years later.

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to spend the summers at my grandparents farm outside of Perryton.
One day while I was riding on the fender of the tractor with him he suddenly stopped and said “One day you’ll inherit all of this.” I looked all around and replied “Even the tree? Will I get the tree 🌲 to?” He laughed and said “If your uncle doesn’t set it on fire or chop it down you’ll get the tree too!” One tree on 640 acres and it’s still the only one 54 years later.

Funny you mentioned Perryton. Back in the '80's, I managed a country grain elevator in the Oklahoma Panhandle that was owned by Perryton Equity Exchange. Worked for them for about 6 years at that job.

James Abram

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How long does it take to drive to the Whittington Center? NRA.

some friends go to Kenton to the OkieTex Star Party every October and not much road options going west from there.
The NRAWC is 8 miles South of Raton, so from Guymon it is 2.5 hours (speed limit), but you gain an hour as you cross into NM

Latest posts

Top Bottom