Why is Guymon not the hottest place to live right now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KG5VW

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There used to be a great restaurant in Guymon called Hunny’s BBQ, and a chain style steakhouse on the north end near Walmart but I don’t know if either is still there. We stopped at a Chinese buffet there one time and it sucked big time. I hope that place closed down! Wife and I went to a big fair and craft show one time, maybe called Pioneer days??? I don’t remember for sure but it was pretty neat. They had a parade and hearded some longhorns and other cattle down the street by the fairgrounds. Seemed like there was a large Mexican population out there, not that it bothered me but I do wonder what the crime statistics were like. Not much in the way of nicer homes that I could tell, an occasional newer home and a couple of newer additions in the area. Someone mentioned Boise City also, better be a pretty self sufficient type otherwise you would starve to death or spend a lot on fuel. The city square you have to navigate around is kind of unique. We stayed a night out at Black Mesa one time and the dark skies are amazing! Coyotes seem to be everywhere out there, and on our way back to highway 64 we saw a nice buck antelope only about 20 yards off the road. I don’t know if I am cutout to live that far off the beaten path. Now, if you were talking about Red Lodge, MT I would say when do we leave!

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
There used to be a great restaurant in Guymon called Hunny’s BBQ, and a chain style steakhouse on the north end near Walmart but I don’t know if either is still there. We stopped at a Chinese buffet there one time and it sucked big time. I hope that place closed down! Wife and I went to a big fair and craft show one time, maybe called Pioneer days??? I don’t remember for sure but it was pretty neat. They had a parade and hearded some longhorns and other cattle down the street by the fairgrounds. Seemed like there was a large Mexican population out there, not that it bothered me but I do wonder what the crime statistics were like. Not much in the way of nicer homes that I could tell, an occasional newer home and a couple of newer additions in the area. Someone mentioned Boise City also, better be a pretty self sufficient type otherwise you would starve to death or spend a lot on fuel. The city square you have to navigate around is kind of unique. We stayed a night out at Black Mesa one time and the dark skies are amazing! Coyotes seem to be everywhere out there, and on our way back to highway 64 we saw a nice buck antelope only about 20 yards off the road. I don’t know if I am cutout to live that far off the beaten path. Now, if you were talking about Red Lodge, MT I would say when do we leave!

If you think Hunnys is good then you don’t know what real BBQ is. That place is absolutely terrible.

Caktus Jacks burnt down but it got demolished and rebuilt. Should be opening back up by end of this year.

okcowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I miss the Pioneer Days parade when some of the original settlers would bring their prairie schooner wagons, some convert to vehicles wheels and tire but some still had wooden wheels. Various horse riding groups from several states would come. Now it's more like a vehicles parade.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I miss the Pioneer Days parade when some of the original settlers would bring their prairie schooner wagons, some convert to vehicles wheels and tire but some still had wooden wheels. Various horse riding groups from several states would come. Now it's more like a vehicles parade.

Yeppers...

...I well remember those Pioneer Days celebrations. The wife (as a kid) rode from Elkhart, KS to Guymon for that parade. We had friends from Ponca City that worked rodeos as a clown act, and he had a mule that would kick beach balls when they were thrown at him. He asked me and a classmate to help him with that part of the act by chasing after the balls after being kicked. (That mule worked my tail off.)

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back before I retired my sales territory included Kansas as well as other States. I traveled many times to Western Kansas and Western Oklahoma. Had customers in Guymon, Liberal, etc. I found the people in Western Kansas, Western Oklahoma and West Texas to be by in enlarge hard working good people. I did have a sort of running joke that Guymon and Altus were the arm pits of Oklahoma and Liberal, KS an arm pit of Kansas. Just a joke. No offense meant.

I very much enjoyed my customers in Lubbock, TX but would not want to live there. Talk about flat and only a tree here and there; you are talking Lubbock.

Everybody has to live somewhere and most people from New York City would not want in Guthrie, OK.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
If anyone wants any news updates in Guymon let me know.

The most recent is The Ambassador motel/restaurant whatever you want to call it is in the process of being demolished. Oh and one of our best Mexican seafood taco restaurants is for sale and the owners are moving. Ugh.

Ah. Good ol Small town news.

Latest posts

Top Bottom