Why is there a 22LR ammo shortage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More demand than supply.
More gun owners everyday.
More people hoarding after last scare.
A lot of ammo resellers trying to make a few extra bucks.
Ammo manufacturers are supposedly running 24/7, I dunno. Still hoping for the best or someday seeing it on shelves again.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just spoke with a knowledgeable employee at the south BA Walmart; he said that people are coming into the store at four o'clock in the morning to buy whatever .22 ammo they get in that day. I mean, really?

These are the people reselling it on Gunbroker, Armslist and at gunshows. I haven't bought a round of .22 in over 2 years now for the sole reason of not giving these assholes any of my dollars. Same with those buying the ARs when they were unobtanium. You can bet that they are making out like bandits and could probably buy a brand new car with cash after a few months of doing this. I've seen women in front of the Walmart ammo counter on speakerphone and texting pics of the items on the shelf discussing what to buy from the meager pickings before hitting up the rest of the stores on their "route". I agree with the sentiment before, we need to stop enabling the gougers. It will continue as long as people pay for it. Hoarding is a small fraction of it I think today. Before maybe more, but it's been going on for well over a year now. I think for the most part folks are pretty hoarded up. Now it's the resellers causing the problem.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The folks at both Academy and Walmart tell me the same thing. People are lined up in the mornings on shipping days to buy out incoming stock for resale at gun shows, which makes it nearly impossible for anyone with a normal life to find any.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After trying to get some 22lr at couple different Walmart 7:00 am the last week or two Ill go out and say the employees/managers are the ones giving the hoarders and resellers the inside tip on the mornings that have 22lr in stock.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
After trying to get some 22lr at couple different Walmart 7:00 am the last week or two Ill go out and say the employees/managers are the ones giving the hoarders and resellers the inside tip on the mornings that have 22lr in stock.

The ones that line up at the BA Walmart have an IPhone app that tells them what's coming in. You can always ask as well. When I was buying some ammo yesterday, the guy ahead of me was asking when they were getting any 22LR in and he was told when the next shipment had Winchester 555 bulk packs coming and was also told to get there early because they start lining up at 6am..

Since I bought a couple of the M-22 bulk packs last week for 49.99, I asked Greg what they were selling for and he said they are now 51.97. So I guess Cabelas is now cheaper than Walmart. Go figure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom