Why people(gun owners or pro 2nd Amendment folks) keep using paypal??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When a seller presents PayPal as the only option, I contact them and try to use something else. Usually, they let me and if they don't, I bite the bullet and use PP. Or I don't do business with them. The last time I used PP was for a shoulder holster I bought directly from the maker in Italy.

That was several years ago.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate Paypal, but it's required to buy stuff on Ebay (or it used to be) so everyone has it. That makes it an easy way to move money without headaches. I wish someone would open a Paypal for conservatives.
As for Guntabs, it's an escrow service so only good for gun buying from one individual to another, so I might use it once every six months to a year. I'm more likely to use the Coign card since most of what I buy is new.
Likewise on PayPal. I have no knowledge of the other services you mentioned.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, let us give you some money back, that we took from you to incentivize you, to keep letting us take money from you.
Huh? They're not taking any money from me . . . I'm using the card to buy normal, every day items and then paying it off. Why would I use a debit card for that when I can use a credit card and get some cash back? It doesn't cost me any more.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the way . . . .

And credit cards with rewards are awesome if you pay them off each month.

Yes, let us give you some money back, that we took from you to incentivize you, to keep letting us take money from you.

I use the hell outta PP to buy gun stuff...always with their Friends and Family program. And I use my PP-branded MasterCard (so not really PP) to buy gun stuff all the time because I get 2% back on everything, and sometimes up to 5% back. Just used it to buy an AK-V from PSA. I pay it off every month.

I also use PP Credit on some big-ticket items and take advantage of their 6 months/0 interest financing.

So far this year I've paid exactly 57 cents in interest...and that was because I paid the balance off a day before the statement closing date and a charge hit on the last day. So it carried over and I didn't notice it until I got the new statement notice.

I've also earned $222.32 in cash back. That's real money no matter how you look at it.

I use my Amazon Prime card the same way. 5% back in rewards for everything I purchase? Yeah...I'll take that deal. $238.75 so far this year. $0 interest.

Like @BobbyV said...rewards cards are great if you pay them off. I agree.

mmerrill

It makes sense if you don't think about it.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use the hell outta PP to buy gun stuff...always with their Friends and Family program. And I use my PP-branded MasterCard (so not really PP) to buy gun stuff all the time because I get 2% back on everything, and sometimes up to 5% back. Just used it to buy an AK-V from PSA. I pay it off every month.

I also use PP Credit on some big-ticket items and take advantage of their 6 months/0 interest financing.

So far this year I've paid exactly 57 cents in interest...and that was because I paid the balance off a day before the statement closing date and a charge hit on the last day. So it carried over and I didn't notice it until I got the new statement notice.

I've also earned $222.32 in cash back. That's real money no matter how you look at it.

I use my Amazon Prime card the same way. 5% back in rewards for everything I purchase? Yeah...I'll take that deal. $238.75 so far this year. $0 interest.

Like @BobbyV said...rewards cards are great if you pay them off. I agree.
Same here except I use Discover. 1% CB on all purchases and they do 5% CB on different things each quarter. I make 2-3 payments every week as soon as purchases post to my account, never paid a penny in interest. $700-$800 a year in free money.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Huh? They're not taking any money from me . . . I'm using the card to buy normal, every day items and then paying it off. Why would I use a debit card for that when I can use a credit card and get some cash back? It doesn't cost me any more.

TLDR: As a merchant I pay a processing fee every time I accept a credit card on the payment of a service or goods. So, your cash back comes out of the fees merchants pay and every card can have a slightly different fee.

Yes, they are via the processing fees that the merchant pays on each credit card transaction which are passed on to you and everyone else.

Back in the day a merchant could charge a cash price and a higher credit card price on purchases. Until, the banks strong armed the merchants into not offering cash discounts if they wanted to be able to use the merchant credit card processing network. A few years ago, merchants won back the right to offer a discounted cash price.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom