Why SG Ammo sucks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Saw this on Reddit. A Redditor commented this on a SG Ammo ammo deal:

“Don't forget how in every email news letter there was that "I'm making less than $5" or "loosing money with shipping to sell at this price..." spiel while prices were at 4-5 times higher than what it cost pre cov-panic. Even after the market finally broke and was dropping 10+cents per round he held out longer for all it was worth. I get he had some inventory he had paid more for but he also raised the prices on plenty of stock he bought back when it was cheap and sold for ""market value"".

Remember his selling Russian ammo that he had drop the price and admitted in the email newsletter that "he bought to much planning to flip for way more but so did so many other dealers, so he was letting it go instead of waiting. In short he didn't get that big import ban paycheck he thought was coming. Actually their imports were still coming in for few years before sanctions fully hit. Orders in place would be allowed in.

So people have legit grudge about his " poor me" & "I'm going broke here....", he is just not making enough extra profit to keep buying a 2nd new bass boat every year anymore. Like what the worse that happens? They're going to mock him at the boat ramps with having last years fish color scheme on the hull....

Those lies just pushed Sam the guy who owns SGAmmo(who used to be one of the few good guys) into that "Sweaty Ben" of Classic Arms used car salesman crap behavior category. "Last batch of the caliber we're able to import", "Prices were so low we couldn't afford to replace it."... To guess what is there next week, um last batch of Mosins ever....

That's the part of this that makes it offensive ********.

What pissed people off more about SGAmmo, is before ""he got on high on his own stash"" from covid gouging. Sam used to be the place to buy ammo. He might not have be the lowest but you got ammo fast, doubled boxed and the little bit you didn't save was worth supporting a man/business that was one of the good guys... Plus he chronograph'ed the various shipments ammo and showed pictures of the cartridge case broken down showing the powder type and shape, with videos of each shot in groups from different length barrels. So you know what you were getting and what the performance would actual be. That was solid information and wasn't on any other ammo dealer website.

You could also buy a case(s) of hunting ammo(prepper or Z-Day Apocalypse or I likes to shoot guns I own dammit) and not be charged a special order with the LGS wanting more than normally because that's a whole case man. Note a Boxed case of hunting caliber ammo is only 200 rds, with 10 of the 20rd boxes in it. So buying several costs but you had price break and the actual availability. Buying 10-20+ boxes off the store shelf wasn't likely for many calibers, even hitting several shops. It was nice to be able to buy a case or a few , so you could shoot during the year and not beholden to the once a year when is it restocked on the shelves from ammo manufactures cycle.

SGAmmo got a bit big for their britches with Covid ****, and there is some fairness in "they might as well make that money flippers were going to charge for their ammo", but damn that meant many many people just couldn't afford to go shooting recreationaly anymore.

That hurt us badly for 2A support because the less people "Plinking" , the less people are think about firearms and paying attention to the news on them, and with prices so high they couldn't afford to bring newbie out from the other side and pay for them to blast all day.

Looking at numerous people's account screen caps you'll see years of spending thousands with him then nothing for this stupid gouging. That is people who had to stop enjoying shooting meanwhile he made mad profits. Loyal customers who were **** upon for greed.”

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I vote with my feet. No SGA for me.

In good times there’s many virtue signaling, it bad times look who helps both friends and family. Got something they want watch the vultures 😕

A wise little black lady says “ Watch what people do, then watch what they say”.

The rest is just BS, I’d pay several cents more a round to stop the victim mentality . JMO

This is the same reason we’re in this mess. Let’s screw Americans with cheap slave labor goods. You put your money down and take your chances……. Sorry bud you didn’t make the millions you thought you’d make…..

JMO but there’s those that talk values and those that fight to keep ‘em are rare, although all of us fail at times.

That’s not that you should sell at a loss but it happens, some to actually help even if they make a profit, those that sold in the recent ammo shortage at No or little profit, my hats off to you as you’d never replace it for that and you just hope sanity will come back

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The sales tax and shipping charges for Oklahoma is usually a deal breaker for me with them.

The sales tax I’m OK with, and I understand his reasons for not having a warehouse, but not being able to pop over and pick up ammo directly from his location was always a sore point for me.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I won't buy from them because they won't allow local pickup , Stillwater ain't that far away and I have said the same to the owner before . They think for some reason local pickup equates to running a store front or it will lead to them having to open a store front. Just let me bring a copy of my invoice hand it to someone at the frickin loading dock and give me what I paid for online.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what I’m hearing here is that Sam is a SOB for running a profitable business, right? :scratch:

I’ve literally bought 10’s of thousands of rounds from SG and still will if I find a deal, and I genuinely hope the guy is making money and can keep operating for many years to come. I didn’t like the “no pick up” at first, but I now get why he doesn’t offer a “pick up” service. That would take an additional employee that would spend half their day jawjacking with customers that come to pick up and have nothing else to do. As someone self employed, I have to be a little chatty with my customers, but if I’m not careful, I can lose a couple hours of “production” which ends up costing me money. I guarantee it would be worse for them with people coming to pick up ammo.

One of the perks for me was that SG didn’t charge sales tax to across state lines, so that’s one big factor as to why they were my go-to ammo source. Now that everyone charges sales tax, I shop around. It’s not a big deal to me, because I’m going to be charged taxes wherever I buy.

The biggest mistake I see that Sam made is trying poor mouth his situation. I know self employed guys that make a lot of money and try to act like they can’t afford their morning coffee, and in my opinion, that’s insulting. It’s better to just keep your mouth shut, go to work, and not let on whether you’re making money or not. At the end of the day, it’s going to be better for business, and this thread proves it.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I honestly don't even look at what company I'm ordering ammo from anymore.

I search on AmmoSeek and find the best price. I don't even remember the names of the retailers they link me to.

this is exactly what I do

I have no loyalty to retailers. Low price please.

Having said that, I have no issue with them keeping prices at market. If they sold 9mm at .25 when everyone else was selling it at .40, then they would have zero 9mm and their ammo would still be being sold at .40. Just by someone else that bought it from them.

Economics is a *****.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what I’m hearing here is that Sam is a SOB for running a profitable business, right? :scratch:

I’ve literally bought 10’s of thousands of rounds from SG and still will if I find a deal, and I genuinely hope the guy is making money and can keep operating for many years to come. I didn’t like the “no pick up” at first, but I now get why he doesn’t offer a “pick up” service. That would take an additional employee that would spend half their day jawjacking with customers that come to pick up and have nothing else to do. As someone self employed, I have to be a little chatty with my customers, but if I’m not careful, I can lose a couple hours of “production” which ends up costing me money. I guarantee it would be worse for them with people coming to pick up ammo.

One of the perks for me was that SG didn’t charge sales tax to across state lines, so that’s one big factor as to why they were my go-to ammo source. Now that everyone charges sales tax, I shop around. It’s not a big deal to me, because I’m going to be charged taxes wherever I buy.

The biggest mistake I see that Sam made is trying poor mouth his situation. I know self employed guys that make a lot of money and try to act like they can’t afford their morning coffee, and in my opinion, that’s insulting. It’s better to just keep your mouth shut, go to work, and not let on whether you’re making money or not. At the end of the day, it’s going to be better for business, and this thread proves it.

I don't think he is an SOB I think he is has a poor business model , because shipping only as an option for in state customers is dumb and adds extra costs which makes him non competitive with other options. If I am already driving to Stillwater for something let me come by, wheel the ammo to the dock and let me put it in the trunk and leave . It's not a hard ask and they should consider it as reasonable . Not a store front and I am not suggesting one, I would much rather buy it on line its a hassle dealing with store help and I don't really like the experience .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom