Why SG Ammo sucks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think he is an SOB I think he is has a poor business model , because shipping only as an option for in state customers is dumb and adds extra costs which makes him non competitive with other options. If I am already driving to Stillwater for something let me come buy wheel the ammo to the dock and let me put it in the trunk and leave . It's not a hard ask and they should consider it as reasonable . Not a store front and I am not suggesting one, I would much rather buy it on line its a hassle dealing with store help and I don't really like the experience .
For a few customers, what you’re wanting might be an acceptable option, but if a pick up service was offered, I would bet that the SG loading dock would end up like a gun store counter in short order with people just hanging around.
Again, I get it and absolutely don’t blame them for their policy.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
So what I’m hearing here is that Sam is a SOB for running a profitable business, right? :scratch:

I’ve literally bought 10’s of thousands of rounds from SG and still will if I find a deal, and I genuinely hope the guy is making money and can keep operating for many years to come. I didn’t like the “no pick up” at first, but I now get why he doesn’t offer a “pick up” service. That would take an additional employee that would spend half their day jawjacking with customers that come to pick up and have nothing else to do. As someone self employed, I have to be a little chatty with my customers, but if I’m not careful, I can lose a couple hours of “production” which ends up costing me money. I guarantee it would be worse for them with people coming to pick up ammo.

One of the perks for me was that SG didn’t charge sales tax to across state lines, so that’s one big factor as to why they were my go-to ammo source. Now that everyone charges sales tax, I shop around. It’s not a big deal to me, because I’m going to be charged taxes wherever I buy.

The biggest mistake I see that Sam made is trying poor mouth his situation. I know self employed guys that make a lot of money and try to act like they can’t afford their morning coffee, and in my opinion, that’s insulting. It’s better to just keep your mouth shut, go to work, and not let on whether you’re making money or not. At the end of the day, it’s going to be better for business, and this thread proves it.

Now switch it up a bit…

Say you have strictly bought your vehicles from the same dealership for years and they’ve always given you a fair price. Now they’re “market adjusting” their vehicle values by $10,000-$15,000, you go to buy a vehicle during this and you have been a loyal customer in the past but they won’t come off their increased price now. Are you still going to be loyal and buy a vehicle from them for $15,000 over MSRP or are you going to shop around and find a dealership not screwing over potential customers?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For a few customers, what you’re wanting might be an acceptable option, but if a pick up service was offered, I would bet that the SG loading dock would end up like a gun store counter in short order with people just hanging around.
Again, I get it and absolutely don’t blame them for their policy.

They could post prominent signs around the loading dock: PLEASE DO NOT WASTE EMPLOYEES’ TIME WITH IDLE BS

Bet that’d get the point across, especially if the employees simply pointed to the sign when a customer decided to ignore it, and went on back inside. And closed the OH door.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now switch it up a bit…

Say you have strictly bought your vehicles from the same dealership for years and they’ve always given you a fair price. Now they’re “market adjusting” their vehicle values by $10,000-$15,000, you go to buy a vehicle during this and you have been a loyal customer in the past but they won’t come off their increased price now. Are you still going to be loyal and buy a vehicle from them for $15,000 over MSRP or are you going to shop around and find a dealership not screwing over potential customers?
As I stated in my first post in this thread, I’ll still buy from SG if I find a deal. I don’t know how much ammo you’ve bought from them, but I would bet my ”beef” should be bigger than yours.
As far as the scenario you presented, in today’s business climate, I have absolutely NO loyalties to ANY business like I used to. EVERYTHING has changed, so why should the retail ammo business be any different.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find myself these days trying to support more of the local business’s when it seems reasonable or convenient. But I still have Amazon by the house probably 2 times per week. I try to give the local guy a break, but my wallet eventually dictates my purchases. Prime example, I gave the LGS a chance on selling me 20g ammo, he instead tried to a sell me a (crappy) 12g. I gave him one more chance and tried to do a transfer with him, he wanted to know what I bought before he quoted me $50 for the transfer, I then shipped to Sooner State Pawn, and spent the other $40+ on a dinner with the wife. I wouldn’t even consider SGAmmo a local since you can’t actually do direct business with him

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
So what I’m hearing here is that Sam is a SOB for running a profitable business, right? :scratch:
No, he's a gouger and a pity queen. There's a difference between a snake oil salesman and a businessman. It's like going to Jimmy John's Auto sales vs a company dealership. I used to buy from them exclusively, especially when I needed large amounts of ammo. Then they started jacking prices and sending pity party emails explaining how he ain't making any money - which is complete BS. So, I wrote them off because I can get it cheaper with shipping from too many other places.

Ammoseek is your friend. SGA used to be in the top ten hits now it's way down in the middle somewhere.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, he's a gouger and a pity queen. There's a difference between a snake oil salesman and a businessman. It's like going to Jimmy John's Auto sales vs a company dealership. I used to buy from them exclusively, especially when I needed large amounts of ammo. Then they started jacking prices and sending pity party emails explaining how he ain't making any money - which is complete BS. So, I wrote them off because I can get it cheaper with shipping from too many other places.

Ammoseek is your friend. SGA used to be in the top ten hits now it's way down in the middle somewhere.
I‘ve recieved SG emails for years, and it appears I’m missing alot by not reading his commentary. All I look at is the ammo and prices listed. I always figured the price is the price, and I don’t need anyone to explain to me why or how they came up with the price. :anyone:

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When SGA jacked their prices up and broke out the sarah mclachlan music I ended up ordering from Underwood. They had $7 flat rate shipping at the time, and their prices didn’t change at all - it went from seemingly high to pretty reasonable, as well as higher quality than most of what I was ordering from SGA. If I want cheap plinking stuff I just use Ammo seek now.

It’s a shame on his part, for a few years I never checked prices at all, just went to his site and ordered.

Latest posts

Top Bottom