Why so little interst (seemingly) in IDPA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's why USPSA invented Production.

I probably would have tried it a long time ago if we had an OKC match. I still want to eventually...if I can get my hands on a sweet concealment cape. :smash:

I've shot IDPA-style matches and it's just not as much fun as USPSA. I like the mental aspect of stage planning. Some IDPA-types irk me with the argument that USPSA is impractical. As much as I'd like to grab some simunitions and test that theory, the reality is that these are GAMES. I'm not close-minded about IDPA, it's just that there's so many great USPSA club matches in OK.

Anyway...USPSA is my first love, but I would never, ever do it again if I could shoot 3 gun every weekend. It's where the most skill, fun and money is!

Thanks for offering a fair opinion about IDPA, some of the other comments have just been a little lets just say harsh about IDPA.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been to a few matches that seemed to test the outer limit of your "average" scenario. But in reality, I can't think of a defined defensive scenario that meets everyday mundane criteria. As it is a game, as has been said, what's the harm in shooting a more challenging shooting scenario? I have also been to IPSC matches, and the stages don't always stay the same. There are only so many times that one can shoot the "hold-up at the ATM" scenario, before it gets boring. Kudos to those who come up with new stages.

While many may not find it as fun as USPSA, IDPA is a good way for me, at least, to get some trigger time that is challenging. For me, it's about getting out and having some fun at a level that doesn't involve $3500 race guns or hundreds of dollars in ammo. I probably would spend the dinero if I had it, but that's beside the point.

I guess my train of thought is that IDPA seems to have little support in my area, even though it has the potential to be a cheap avenue into shooting sports.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been to a few matches that seemed to test the outer limit of your "average" scenario. But in reality, I can't think of a defined defensive scenario that meets everyday mundane criteria. As it is a game, as has been said, what's the harm in shooting a more challenging shooting scenario? I have also been to IPSC matches, and the stages don't always stay the same. There are only so many times that one can shoot the "hold-up at the ATM" scenario, before it gets boring. Kudos to those who come up with new stages.

While many may not find it as fun as USPSA, IDPA is a good way for me, at least, to get some trigger time that is challenging. For me, it's about getting out and having some fun at a level that doesn't involve $3500 race guns or hundreds of dollars in ammo. I probably would spend the dinero if I had it, but that's beside the point.

I guess my train of thought is that IDPA seems to have little support in my area, even though it has the potential to be a cheap avenue into shooting sports.

I agree that some of the scenarios are a bit far fetched. It does seem the hard part is not so much making up the stages but naming them and making the back story. As far as the realistic training point goes the weapon presentation portion is as real as you make it. If you wear a fancy concealment vest with some owb holster for your Glock 34 that you can draw quickly that is not as realistic as people who actually use their everyday carry set up.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The fact that you're pretty far from a major metro probably accounts for some of it.

IDPA shooters tend much more toward the casual than USPSA shooters, which is why IDPA has had such success. IDPA shooters will likely not drive an hour and a half for a local match.

My experience in IDPA was that largely, with some exceptions, IDPA folks were people who shot guns amongst other hibbies or interests. USPSA shooters tend towards shooting being their primary hobby so they will travel further and spend more.

My take.

Michael Brown
Good analysis. +1.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like carry gun matches. I only have one handgun and its what I carry.

That way, I can practice with what I NEED to be proficient with and not be at a serious disadvantage to the guy next to me who is running a full size service pistol that will hold 20 something rounds. I shot one IDPA match and with my pistol only having 8 round capacity I was reloading constantly where the other guys were just blasting away. Plus I don't have 25 mags either so if a stage calls for lots of rounds the group leader usually has to come up with a less shots per target scenario for me.

We need more carry gun matches in the Tulsa area!

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For me, it's about getting out and having some fun at a level that doesn't involve $3500 race guns or hundreds of dollars in ammo. I probably would spend the dinero if I had it, but that's beside the point.

USPSA's production division uses the same guns that IDPA's SSP features (with a few guns relegated to ESP). The only equipment difference between IDPA and USPSA production division is 2 more magazines and pouches needed for USPSA. USPSA's singlestack division welcomes the exact same equipment as CDP with three more magazines and pouches. The huge additional expense people talk about just isn't there. You need a few more mags and you might shoot an additional box of ammo.

IDPA has very little support in the OKC area, if there was a local match I'd shoot it. I'd really be interested if they would let 40 S&W into CDP, but that's another topic.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I like carry gun matches. I only have one handgun and its what I carry.

That way, I can practice with what I NEED to be proficient with and not be at a serious disadvantage to the guy next to me who is running a full size service pistol that will hold 20 something rounds. I shot one IDPA match and with my pistol only having 8 round capacity I was reloading constantly where the other guys were just blasting away. Plus I don't have 25 mags either so if a stage calls for lots of rounds the group leader usually has to come up with a less shots per target scenario for me.

We need more carry gun matches in the Tulsa area!

IDPA doesn't allow most pistols to be loaded to capacity. 10+1 is the max allowed in any of the IDPA divisions, and I believe IDPA rules say you can carry no more than 2 extra magazines. In short I don't think that match was an IDPA match.

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is and always has been interest in practical shooting sports that are centered around self defense shooting scenarios, carry pistols and gear.
I became an IDPA member in 1997 and was very active as a competitor and worker thru 2009. There has been a line of people all thru the years joining IDPA and at the same time a solid line of members walking out the door..
IF IDPA had not lost so many members the local matches would be very well attended.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
May have been stated here, but Oil Capital had about 22 shooters last February when it was pretty cold, up to about 45 shooters when the weather is nice. Around 34 shooters per match is what i have seen. There are a few guys who shot at USSA and not Oil Capital and visa versa.

Latest posts

Top Bottom