Why the snubbing of small caliber ammo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shot placement matters over anything else. You can't miss with a hand cannon well enough to stop a determined threat.

Don't forget; Ronald Reagan was damn near killed by a .22lr. He was a big, muscular dude back in the day and Hinckley's bullet entered under his left armpit and made it almost to Reagan's heart. A well placed shot will do the job. Perhaps slowly, so take that into consideration.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

Here is 1 study! What you make of it will be different than what I make of it........ I do know that the Feg 380 is my most accurate pistol I have in carry size out to 25 yards. I do not feel under gunned with it. But I shoot it a lot along with my Taurus tcp380. So I know the pistols and I am comfortable with them. But I would still rather have my 45 shield and do carry it on the weekends. At work my 380's make more sense do to size and concealment!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This may be heresy, but I'm strongly considering getting a Ruger LCR in 22mag for my SO. Her grip strength is limited in racking the slide on her Sig P238. She certainly can't pull the slide on a 9mm, and certainly doesn't like it's recoil. I think the 22mag revolver would be a great compromise. She's a pretty good shot which is a plus with the smaller ammo.

A cousin's wife has carpal tunnel in her wrists. Recoil is very painful but she wants to carry. He ended up with a Keltec PMR-30 in .22 Win mag. Zero recoil and she shoots good with it so that is the gun for her.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I suggest doing like Tim Harper and carrying an AR everywhere. If not then this video will sum up how ammo choice is probably more important than caliber.

Did you notice at 4:12 the performance of the FMJ? It's typical of the FMJ and why they cause more damage than most think if the bullet is designed right. When a FMJ enters a medium and it's stability is disrupted, it yaws to the point where it is the heaviest which is the base.
The video show two of them doing exactly that.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to carry a .380 S&W bodyguard with no laser, when I had to mercy kill a deer after hitting it I had to empty a mag into it to get it to die. That caused me to question my faith in the .380.

Latest posts

Top Bottom