why you work up loads-- Data may not match

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually have two different manuals, where the max load given in one manual is below the STARTING load of the other.

Depending on how old the manuals are, powder changes over a decade or two. I'm talking about the formulation from the manufacturer. A batch of unique from 1970 may well have an appreciably different burning rate than the current production. Manuals reflect those changes and in some cases they have dumbed down the load on instruction from the legal department. A chronograph is a very important tool in working up loads, it lets you approximate the load velocities listed in place of measuring pressure. If someone ever brings out an affordable pressure barrel system for the reloader then the game will be on for sure.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOW! That will make you scratch your head.
I am always playing with stuff that isn't in the book.
Right now I am playing with red dot in 30-06. It is below "The Load"

read here.
http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/TheLoad.html

I've been working with a buddy on 45-70 mild recoil loads for his son. He is loading my 340 grain hard cast bullets with 10 grains of unique and he says they are accurate, consistent and low recoil. His son loves them.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been working with a buddy on 45-70 mild recoil loads for his son. He is loading my 340 grain hard cast bullets with 10 grains of unique and he says they are accurate, consistent and low recoil. His son loves them.

No issues with a delay fire because of the powder not being near the primer, or are you using a filler?

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No filler and no apparent problems with powder position. I was recommending a fiber filler but he had already loaded and tested a series of loads and settled on the 10 grains as most accurate in his gun. He's using a handi rifle for that and I can attest to needing a light load in those. His accuracy is consistent.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Depending on how old the manuals are, powder changes over a decade or two. I'm talking about the formulation from the manufacturer. A batch of unique from 1970 may well have an appreciably different burning rate than the current production. Manuals reflect those changes and in some cases they have dumbed down the load on instruction from the legal department. A chronograph is a very important tool in working up loads, it lets you approximate the load velocities listed in place of measuring pressure. If someone ever brings out an affordable pressure barrel system for the reloader then the game will be on for sure.

Exactly, which goes to the point swampratt is making with this thread: verify your load is safe in your gun. Just because "a manual" says it's inside safe parameters isn't a guarantee.

Latest posts

Top Bottom