Wichita mnts controlled hunt question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate08chevy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've read many places that any elk is a trophy. What day did you get yours on?

Did you end up taking one?

I had a cow tag and we probably crossed paths in the visitors center. I'm also from the Ponca area. Thanks to everyone else for the tips. Inspired me to become a member here.

jaketinaboxer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you end up taking one?

I had a cow tag and we probably crossed paths in the visitors center. I'm also from the Ponca area. Thanks to everyone else for the tips. Inspired me to become a member here.

I did. Very late on the second day south and west of the visitor center near the lake. I killed the only cow elk i seen while hunting. Total on the refuge while hunting i only seen 1 bull and 1 cow. and covered about 9 miles.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did. Very late on the second day south and west of the visitor center near the lake. I killed the only cow elk i seen while hunting. Total on the refuge while hunting i only seen 1 bull and 1 cow. and covered about 9 miles.
That sounds like tough Wichita Mtns. elk hunt for a couple days. Glad you got one. How many elk did you see when you went on scouting ride day before the hunt.

jaketinaboxer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sounds like tough Wichita Mtns. elk hunt for a couple days. Glad you got one. How many elk did you see when you went on scouting ride day before the hunt.

a couple from a long way off. On the morning of orientation we seen quite a few south east of the visitor center, and seen a TON on the base.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I made three trips into the refuge this summer, and once early fall and never seen an elk. Two of those times should have been during some prime viewing times.

Nate08chevy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

Congrats man that's awesome! What section were you in? Did you take the cow in the flats or on the side of a hill?

I took one early afternoon the second day on a flat between north and south facing slopes. I was in section I and it was loaded with elk in the timber fingers. Was a hard hunt physically and mentally

jaketinaboxer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats man that's awesome! What section were you in? Did you take the cow in the flats or on the side of a hill?

I took one early afternoon the second day on a flat between north and south facing slopes. I was in section I and it was loaded with elk in the timber fingers. Was a hard hunt physically and mentally

section b. I took it 45 yards off the paved road. she was laying on a rock. Kinda a rocky wooded area.

Latest posts

Top Bottom