1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wicked Edge users...

Discussion in 'Knives' started by 348, Aug 1, 2014.

1. 348

348 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I've made up my mind to buy the Wicked Edge, but I don't want to over-buy. What's the highest grit you use on your knives? Is 1000 good enough, or are the[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]5/3.5 Diamond and Leather Strops worth the extra? Or is the full blown Pro pack 2 the only way to go?

2. Dale Atkerson

Dale Atkerson Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I use up to 1000. Hardly ever below 600 unless it is very dull and needs the edge reshaped. But then I usally go to the grinder and a 600 grit belt. I prefer to stop on a piece of leather streatched and nailed or glued to a board by hand. Great system for anyone, especialy for the ones that are angle chalaged. Good luck.

3. ez bake

ez bake Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I would consider the Pro Kit almost worthless without the strops. I added the ceramic stones and probably wouldn't do it again to be honest though. I've got what is essentially the Pro Pack 2 (mine is an older version), but you can add the strops if you want them. I'd go with the Pro Pack I personally.

The 800/1000 stones take quite a bit of the major scratching out of the edge to then go into the strops with diamond paste and get a nice mirror edge.

Once I get my folders re-profiled and shiney-edged, I rarely go back with anything other than the strop and touch-up the micro-bevel.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  4. juscvin

juscvin Sharpshooter

You've gotta get the strops. However if you aren't looking for a mirror finish then up to 1000 grit will work fine. If you are looking for a mirror finish then I recommend both the ultra and micro fine stones

5. frankos72

frankos72 Sharpshooter

I have the ceramics and have used them every time I sharpen a knife. To take it even further, I have sandpaper in some ultrafine grits that I bought from Hobby lobby. I cut it to match the face and I tape it on a couple stones . I haven't done it lately, but when I go through the full selection of sandpapers the blade edge looks like a true mirror. I always finish up with the strops .

6. 7stw

7stw Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Sorry for the necropost but I got one of these for Christmas and was just wondering what I any accessories I needed to add. Anyone else used one of these systems ? Seems like a sweet setup so far. Still messing around with it trying to figure everything out.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

7. tRidiot

tRidiot Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Nice present!

8. 7stw

7stw Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I know my mother in law is a pretty awesome lady.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.