Wife drew great salt plains NWR hunt. Previous experiences or advice please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
tammerack or cattails? Are there good trails to get around or haul a kill out with a cart? How do u know what area your hunting? Are there good food plots established?
All of the above with salt cedars as well. It's been many years since I hunted it. We were in the first group to hunt it after its initial opening.
You know where your hunting because all the fences have letters on them. If you approach a fence you will see the zone of the neighbors. You cannot cross without permission.
Back when we hunted it, it was about the toughest hunt I'd been on, but driving by now, it's a lot less dense than back in the day. Fires or whatever, Don't know. More open areas now with edges.

Reaction score
For years we have hunted saltflats on the cimmaron which I think should be similar terrain and vegetation due to being flat wide open and salty... it’s all sage and tammerack brush there...fairly short in most places you can see deers upper half most of the time....I hunt another place on the s Canadian.... it’s all 12’ tall cattails and the deer are much harder to see...

Reaction score
All of the above with salt cedars as well. It's been many years since I hunted it. We were in the first group to hunt it after its initial opening.
You know where your hunting because all the fences have letters on them. If you approach a fence you will see the zone of the neighbors. You cannot cross without permission.
Back when we hunted it, it was about the toughest hunt I'd been on, but driving by now, it's a lot less dense than back in the day. Fires or whatever, Don't know. More open areas now with edges.
Drought from the past years mabe

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Drought from the past years mabe

Very possible. At the time, no trails. We carried out my doe on a pole.
We had seen that method on TV lol. That deer got to swinging and was almost impossible to carry that way. Maybe if we had marched with cadence., but it was tough. Large cat tail fields to walk through right when they were releasing their seeds. The guy on the back of the pole got a nose and eyeful. We had to swap out to keep from killing each other. Lol. We were young and tough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom