Wife Struggles Pulling the Trigger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few months back my wife decided that she wanted to start carrying in her purse because of a road rage incident that scared her. I let her try a Ruger LCP, but she struggled with racking the slide. After watching that for awhile, I decided that a revolver would be best for her. I got her a S&W 642, and I thought the problem would be solved. Nope, I watched in disbelief while she struggled pulling the trigger. So now I think that I have two options to consider. The first option is finding a SA/DA revolver. The second option is lowering the pull weight on the 642. There are mixed reviews on the web about reducing the pull weight. Any recommendations from you guys/girls would be appreciated. She likes revolvers over semi-autos so the S&W EZ is not really an option. After we have her something that she can actually use, I’m sure there will be more posts to follow about teaching her to aim/shoot while still staying married.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok ... You are not gonna like what I have to say but after watching this play out oh ... I dunno, like a bazillion or so times over the years here is what I have learned. Take your wife to the range and let her rent as many different guns as it takes. Then, when SHE finds the one she wants do not argue with her, do not try to talk her into what YOU think is the best gun for her, simply ask the salesman to go get a NIB version of the gun she picked so you can buy it. Oh ... And don't forget to get her several boxes of practice ammo while you are there!! Oh and a good holster.

Have fun at the range! 😘

Eta: My husband taught me to shoot. @Snake Lol 😂😂😂 We did great until I got good enough that I didn't need him to tell me how to gun a stage. But habits were in place by then and I could be seen at any given stage at OKCGC giving him the stink-eye because he would NOT SHUT UP while I was trying to get ready for my turn to shoot. 😒🙄😂 Lol He stepped back and I took lessons from one of the better shooters in our group of buddies for a while after that. (One of the great benefits of working at the gun range. I got to hang out and play around with some really good shooters who didn't mind letting me play along. Haha) Grumpy got razzed a little for that but like any really good husband would he took it in stride.

I saw so many men whose egos were absolutely destroyed by their wife not "falling in line" when it came to taking shooting advice from them as gospel. Not saying you are that way -- just that it is amazing how many men are ...

Last edited:

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take your wife to the range and let her rent as many different guns as it takes. ... And don't forget to get her several boxes of practice ammo while you are there!! Oh and a good holster.
There's a lot of good advice here.
I've rented guns that I was sure I'd like, only to be pretty disappointed and then glad I was only out the rental fee and the price of some ammo ($$$$$ nowadays).

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Entire books can, and have been, written on this subject. THAT Gurl gave excellent advice. GlockPride also made an excellent point.

Find a really good, COMPETENT instructor for your wife who knows what to look for to insure a gun fits your wife's hand. Find guns that fit her hand then narrow it down to what she likes best.

Don't tell her what she needs.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok ... You are not gonna like what I have to say but after watching this play out oh ... I dunno, like a bazillion or so times over the years here is what I have learned. Take your wife to the range and let her rent as many different guns as it takes. Then, when SHE finds the one she wants do not argue with her, do not try to talk her into what YOU think is the best gun for her, simply ask the salesman to go get a NIB version of the gun she picked so you can buy it. Oh ... And don't forget to get her several boxes of practice ammo while you are there!! Oh and a good holster.

Have fun at the range! 😘

Eta: My husband taught me to shoot. @Snake Lol 😂😂😂 We did great until I got good enough that I didn't need him to tell me how to gun a stage. But habits were in place by then and I could be seen at any given stage at OKCGC giving him the stink-eye because he would NOT SHUT UP while I was trying to get ready for my turn to shoot. 😒🙄😂 Lol He stepped back and I took lessons from one of the better shooters in our group of buddies for a while after that. (One of the great benefits of working at the gun range. I got to hang out and play around with some really good shooters who didn't mind letting me play along. Haha) Grumpy got razzed a little for that but like any really good husband would he took it in stride.

I saw so many men whose egos were absolutely destroyed by their wife not "falling in line" when it came to taking shooting advice from them as gospel. Not saying you are that way -- just that it is amazing how many men are ...
Good points and advice taken!!! We’ll probably be making a trip to the big city and let her try several out. I’ll do my best to keep my mouth shut. Thank you

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Entire books can, and have been, written on this subject. THAT Gurl gave excellent advice. GlockPride also made an excellent point.

Find a really good, COMPETENT instructor for your wife who knows what to look for to insure a gun fits your wife's hand. Find guns that fit her hand then narrow it down to what she likes best.

Don't tell her what she needs.
Good advice! Thank you

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good advice! Thank you
Not sure on your wife's hand size, but IF she prefers revolvers a nice older model 36 or model 10 (K vs J Frame) could do well and a competent gunsmith could polish the trigger for you. I had a 36 that I let go awhile back that someone had done a very nice polish job on the trigger and it was fairly light and smooth as butter

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Have fun at the range! 😘

So what range do/did you work at? Any recommendations for a range in OKC area that has a good selection of rentals? All of our shooting is done on the back side of a pond dam.

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So what range do/did you work at? Any recommendations for a range in OKC area that has a good selection of rentals? All of our shooting is done on the back side of a pond dam.
Wilshire Gun has a good amount of newer stuff, mostly if not all are semi-auto though, so if you're wanting to rent revolvers/ a wider variety I would recommend H&H off I40 and Meridian

Latest posts

Top Bottom