Wife Struggles Pulling the Trigger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wifey bought both of the Smith EZ models in 380 and 9mm. Yuck, 9mm. Oh well, they are her choices.
Both have EZ slides and trigger pulls which she loves.
Just a suggestion for her to look at.

For home defense, there ain't nothin scarier than a frightened woman with a shotgun!

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good points and advice taken!!! We’ll probably be making a trip to the big city and let her try several out. I’ll do my best to keep my mouth shut. Thank you

I can tell by this post alone your wife is a lucky lucky woman. I cannot tell you how many times I have posted what I said to you to some other guy (here and in other forums) and been told I have no idea what I'm talking about. 🙄😂😂😂 It actually started to just get funny after a while -- well except those guys were ruining women to shooting and that kinda made me sad. I am so glad Grumpy listened to me when I told him what I did and did not like. Of course, it's not like he really had a choice ... 😉😁😇

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what range do/did you work at? Any recommendations for a range in OKC area that has a good selection of rentals? All of our shooting is done on the back side of a pond dam.

I worked at H&H back when the Halls were sucking the life out of it. They still have a good selection of rentals AFAIK.

Wilshire has some rentals, I believe. I'm not sure about Big Boys.

If you have some buddies with a decent selection amongst them it would be fun to gather every one up and play show and tell on some private property. Back in the day it was not unheard of for us to drag a newbie out to Thunderbird (I'm still pissed at those ****ers over on ARFCOM) and have a bazillion guns for them to try out. Everyone had a great time.

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked at H&H back when the Halls were sucking the life out of it. They still have a good selection of rentals AFAIK.

Wilshire has some rentals, I believe. I'm not sure about Big Boys.

If you have some buddies with a decent selection amongst them it would be fun to gather every one up and play show and tell on some private property. Back in the day it was not unheard of for us to drag a newbie out to Thunderbird (I'm still pissed at those ****ers over on ARFCOM) and have a bazillion guns for them to try out. Everyone had a great time.
I would totally be down for that option! This is what dad and I used to do when we did private ccw courses and certs at my buddies ranch for his employees. Show up for the shooting cert with just a plethora of firearms and have a good time

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I got my girlfriend into shooting, she couldn’t load a magazine or rack the slide, especially on smaller “woman sized” firearms. She was also the typical market sample for women’s firearms, being 5’2 and petite, with tiny child hands. Most of the firearms marketed to women are notoriously hard to manipulate in my opinion. Small slides, short grips, light weight all make for a less pleasurable shooting experience for anyone, and especially those who don’t have a ton of experience. I suggest starting with full size stuff, that will fit her hand. My girlfriend started with my full sized pistols, and learned how to operate them. Learned about pushing the firearm forward rather than pulling the slide back, how to use your fingers when loading the mag, all that. Things I’ve forgotten because I’ve been doing it a while. She did end up with a hellcat, which she likes, but she really loves revolvers. She even prefers to shoot 357mag loads out of my 2.25” SP101, and 10mm out of my N frame. I feel that the tip over point was learning the technique behind firearms manipulation, and then developing the associated muscles through practice. The first 6 months before I bought her first firearm was lots of practice. It was manipulation and disassembly of every pistol we put in the range bag, essentially practicing for 30 minutes before we ever went to the range. That allowed her to be more familiar and more confident when we got to the range, where she then only had to worry about range safety and what target she wanted. In the end, she could safely and efficiently manipulate any pistol she picked up.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say practice with what you have available, learn the basics. Go to a music store and find the hand exerciser deals for guitarists to train their hands/fingers. She’ll get it, I have no doubt about that. I suggest looking at mid sized revolvers, say an SP101 with the larger hogue grip or maybe a K frame, and you can always smooth the burrs off and leave springs alone if you’re concerned about reliability. The larger frame should be easier to hold and handle.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not simply a matter of having strength to manipulate a slide or pull a trigger. It's a matter of hand and gun size as well. If the gun is too large you'll never be able to properly grip the gun. It will cause you to slide your hand around on the grip in order to reach the trigger. That means your natural aim will always need to be corrected using muscle tension.

There's much more to shooting than being able to rack the slide, or otherwise operate, a handgun.

That's why she...and every other new shooter...needs COMPETENT instruction from someone who knows what they're doing.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One more thing ... And this is strictly a personal peeve of mine so take it with a grain of salt. If she wants to enroll in a womans only class then by all means she should. Just so she can see how ridiculous these events are. They are a complete waste of your time and money. Plus it is my honest observation that if you are SO self-conscious that you can't focus on your gun handling on front of a man then you have absolutely no business handling a gun, period. Yep, I know. I'm not a feminist. I personally believe that boobs do not make us nearly as weak and helpless as feminists believe we are. It's ********. Grow a damned pair and get it done. 🙄🙄🙄

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I personally believe that boobs do not make us nearly as weak and helpless as feminists believe we are. It's ********. Grow a damned pair and get it done. 🙄🙄🙄
My wife has the same motto! 🤣

She loves asking people if they really think her ovaries would be in the way that much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom