Wild Game Recipes ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InaTreeStand

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
In looking through alrecipies.com every recipe calls for baking soda. I used it with flour to saute some asparagus and it held the coating the other night.
Edit: baking powder, not baking soda.

Baking soda is used to change the pH and help break down the surface of your food to make it more crispy when heat is applied. Add it to water when boiling potatoes for roasting and it makes a huge difference. I understand that you mixed up the two, but baking soda does have an important use in the kitchen.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/12/the-best-roast-potatoes-ever-recipe.html

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 33252View attachment 33253View attachment 3325405-22-2013, 06:59 AM #30 TedKennedy
View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles Send Email

Patron

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts:1,284 Re: "Official" Wild Game Cooking Pic and Recipe Thread

Cubed 1 1/2 lbs deer steak (1/2" cubes)
Brown well (until liquid is gone)
while you're doing that....

Seed, and grill 5 Ancho, 3 California, 2 hot peppers of choice (all peppers dried)
Soak peppers in bowl of hot water 30-60 min
Save water you soaked them in
Add peppers, one chopped onion, and a chopped head of garlic, plus two teaspoons ground cumin to blender
pour in 1 cup of liquid and blend

When meat is ready and skillet still going, add mixture from blender to the meat
Stir frequently, and add more liquid as needed
Simmer for an hour or three, adding water if it cooks down too much

Serve with some beans, tortillas, cilantro, guacamole, onion, fresh peppers
Guessing deer chili? Whatever it is sounds freakin awesome.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ran out of elk so I’m back to deer.
I’ve always used sliced muscle for jerky with a recipie we have used for 30 years.
Had this last deer made to all ground with a 80-20 mix of pork fat.
Bought a jerky shooter from Amazon that came in yesterday. I have a summer sausage recipe one can finish in the oven so thought that might work well for a first run of ground jerky.
Mixed everything up with the curing salt. Recipe says to refrigerate overnight, so put 2 lb in the fridge, keeping two lbs out to do right away.
The batch kept out was at room temp when going into the shooter. I had troubles all the way with the mix coming out inconsistently. Put it on the pellet grill at the smoke level that maintains about 160 degrees for an hour, turning it up to 200 degrees for another hour and a half.
When it came off we let it cool before the taste test. Could not detect any heat even with a teaspoon of cayenne pepper and a few red pepper flakes.
It was darned good though.
Todays batch came out of the fridge cold with a much different meat consistency. Very sticky. Added many more peppers for heat, put back in fridge for an hour and loaded the shooter.
Night and day difference in the meat texture and how it came out with this mix. It came out very evenly on to the rack, forming perfectly. Back into the pellet grill and here it is after the cook.

2F158784-75F1-434C-BFC2-D850EC93678A.jpeg

The taste was also better sitting overnight to let the spices do their thing.
Lesson I learned is when using curing salt, dissolve it in a liquid before adding to the mix so it’s more evenly distributed.
Always keep the mixture ice cold when going into the shooter.
Use a leaner mix of meat and fat. 90-10 or less.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
not exactly a recipe, but I wanted to turn some wild meat into butcher style cuts cuz eating grilled meat off a bone is righteous. This is from the antelope I shot a couple weeks ago. I cut the saddle out of its back (tenderloin and backstrap with spine and rib bones in) so I could cut some porterhouse/t-bones. I don’t have a band saw to cut dead center thru the spinous process, so I removed both loins from one side and kept them “whole”. I then cut the chops from the side with the loins still attached. Ill do it a little different next time, hopefully itll be a little cleaner and ill have 10 chops instead of 5. its was fun to cut/cook/eat something different though. It was seasoned with olive oil, fresh rosemary, fresh garlic, salt and fresh ground black pepper cooked over hot charcoal for a couple minutes per side.
IMG_3346.jpeg
IMG_3347.jpeg
IMG_3349.jpeg
IMG_3350.jpeg
IMG_3352.jpeg
IMG_3354.jpeg
IMG_3357.jpeg

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
not exactly a recipe, but I wanted to turn some wild meat into butcher style cuts cuz eating grilled meat off a bone is righteous. This is from the antelope I shot a couple weeks ago. I cut the saddle out of its back (tenderloin and backstrap with spine and rib bones in) so I could cut some porterhouse/t-bones. I don’t have a band saw to cut dead center thru the spinous process, so I removed both loins from one side and kept them “whole”. I then cut the chops from the side with the loins still attached. Ill do it a little different next time, hopefully itll be a little cleaner and ill have 10 chops instead of 5. its was fun to cut/cook/eat something different though. It was seasoned with olive oil, fresh rosemary, fresh garlic, salt and fresh ground black pepper cooked over hot charcoal for a couple minutes per side.View attachment 448325View attachment 448326View attachment 448327View attachment 448328View attachment 448329View attachment 448330View attachment 448331
Doing things like this is one of the reasons butchering my own game is one of my favorite things about hunting. Thanks for posting!

Latest posts

Top Bottom