Wild Game Recipes ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For those who say 'they don't like duck / goose'

1 large cast iron pot / skillet.
6 slices bacon chopped
1 medium onion chopped
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 stalk celery chopped (3-4 stalks, as needed to taste)
1 pkg mushrooms chopped or 2 small cans of pieces
4 ducks (species doesn't matter, they're ALL good) or goose. Have also used squirrel, rabbit, quail, dove, pheasant and a mixture of all.
4 cups wild rice
salt, black pepper, garlic powder, flour

Heat skillet and add bacon, onion, bell pepper and celery.
Debone meat and cut into bite size cubes. Add salt, black pepper, garlic powder, flour to coat meat.

Prepare rice in a separate pot.

May need to add a bit of oil to skillet, depending on how much fat is rendered from bacon.
Remove bacon mixture to cool and
Fry up meat until almost done.
Add bacon mixture, mushrooms, 2 cups of hot water (have also used chicken broth) to skillet.
Mix 2 tbsp. flour in 1 tbsp. hot water. Slowly add to skillet to thicken gravy.

Fill plate with rice and generously cover with gravy and meat.

Ok, there is bacon in the recipe, so I'm sold.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://rasamalaysia.com/beef-rendang-recipe-rendang-daging/

Venison steaks instead of beef.
This requires some ingredients a lot of folks don't have handy. They are available at the Vietnamese grocery stores in Tulsa and OKC, and they are cheap.
I wouldn't substitute anything, or leave anything out. (except venison instead of beef) It takes a while to prepare this, but it is so good, it's worth every minute.
Very unique flavor, and will make your house smell good for hours. Also, I used 3lbs of meat, doubled everything.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Kind of feel like a cheater cause some of this did come out of a box however it was quick, easy and good after a day of hunting.

Duck/Sausage jambalaya

duck filets (mostly gads and widgeon of course) (sliced into pieces)
One package of jalapeno and cheese smoked sausage (guessing a pound) (sliced into pieces)
half a bell pepper
3 stalks of celery sliced
some chopeed onion
2 cans of diced tomato's (undrained)

Place above in slow cooker (crock pot), add spices to your liking and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Go hunting.
After hunting. add 3 or 4 boxes of Zatarins Jambalaya box mix ( i had one box of cheesy jambalaya in the mix).
Add few cups of water depending on amount of rice you are adding.

Let cook with lid on for 30 or so minutes.

Mix and eat.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Kind of feel like a cheater cause some of this did come out of a box however it was quick, easy and good after a day of hunting.

Duck/Sausage jambalaya

duck filets (mostly gads and widgeon of course) (sliced into pieces)
One package of jalapeno and cheese smoked sausage (guessing a pound) (sliced into pieces)
half a bell pepper
3 stalks of celery sliced
some chopeed onion
2 cans of diced tomato's (undrained)

Place above in slow cooker (crock pot), add spices to your liking and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Go hunting.
After hunting. add 3 or 4 boxes of Zatarins Jambalaya box mix ( i had one box of cheesy jambalaya in the mix).
Add few cups of water depending on amount of rice you are adding.

Let cook with lid on for 30 or so minutes.

Mix and eat.

This turned out really good.

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bacon Wrapped Venison Heart

i.imgur.com_89JwPfu.jpg

i.imgur.com_gyZYJEK.jpg

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is next on my list. Looks like a great way to utilize the front quarter. From Meateater:

[Broken External Image]

Venison Osso Bucco Recipe
BY STEVEN RINELLA | DECEMBER 24TH, 2013

Ingredients:

Two whole venison shanks, sawed into discs about 1½ inches thick. A butcher’s saw, a band saw, or a standard hack saw all work great for cutting shanks, especially if the shank is frozen or slightly frozen. (When I’m butchering a deer, I wrap the whole shanks in plastic wrap and butcher’s paper and then stack them in my freezer like firewood—or rather, bars of gold. When I want to prepare osso bucco, I remove the shanks and saw them in the morning, then let the pieces thaw before I begin cooking.)

1 cup flour
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 or 2 medium onions, depending on taste, finely sliced
4 cloves minced garlic
3 medium carrots, diced into fine cubes
2 stalks celery, diced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 8-ounce cans of vegetable stock, beef stock, or water
1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon each of finely chopped rosemary, thyme, and oregano (optional, but strongly recommended)
2 tablespoons chopped parsley

Directions:

Set oven temperature at 325 degrees.

Over a medium-high stovetop burner, heat the oil in a heavy Dutch oven or similar sized cooking vessel. Dust the discs of venison shank in the flour. Then, working with three or four at a time, brown them on all sides in the oil. Set the browned discs aside on a platter.

Melt the butter into the same Dutch oven and sauté the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery for about seven minutes over medium heat or until softened and slightly browned. Then lay the pieces of shank flat side down over the bed of vegetables, so they form a single layer.

Pour the crushed tomatoes over the meat, along with the tomato paste. Add ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper, then pour in enough of the stock or water to bring the liquid up to the top of the shanks. Do not submerge the meat, just barely cover it.

Cover the pot with a tight fitting lid and place it into the oven. Let it cook for a minimum of three hours, preferably four. Check on the dish approximately every hour to make sure the liquid level doesn’t drop too low. If it evaporates to a point that the shank pieces are only half-submerged, add some more stock or water to bring the level up to the three-quarter mark. It’s done when the meat can be picked away from the bone easily with the tip of a fork. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, and serve each disc of osso bucco over a bed or couscous or polenta (available in most any grocery store.) If you want to get fancy, add a bit of minced parsley. It’s worth the extra effort. And make sure to dig out the little bit of marrow in the center of the bone and spread that on a toast point. You’re in for a treat.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Grilled snow and Ross goose 100% success, grilled.............duck as well, wives give approval. Pics and recipes later. Well done Justin!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Justin will have to fill you in on the goose.

Ducks were breasted out, silver skin removed, cut into strips, let soak in the ice water in the fridge for 3 days, changing water each day. Marinated 24 hours in liquid margarita mix and garlic powder. Slices were then cut into chunks, chunks were then sandwiched between green pepper and onion, then wrapped with bacon and held in place with tooth pick. Cooked until bacon was done on the grill, which isn't long. Smoked a giant bologna yesterday.......between the duck, goose and bologna...we're stuffed.

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_photobucket_1372_1391400668293_zps3cab2d60.jpg

Best goose I've ever eaten.
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_photobucket_15315_1391400788904_zpsb4527397.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom