Wildcatters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm curious how people work up a wildcat round. After figuring out all the deminsions and getting a reamer cut to make the chamber, how do you know you're within safe pressures for the barrel? Are there "proofing" places around or is that just from across the pond? I was just trying to figure out the process of a home hobbiest to make up a new cartridge. Anyone ever try it and if so how were the results or is this something best left for the big boys that have all the pressure measuring equipment?

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have some time, Vortex Podcast guys did a series of videos on the 6.5 BC. They started from a funny comment by one of the guys and it ended up a full fledge round they took hunting.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should see case/primer pressure signs way before the barrel wants to give up.
I have loaded .223 in a Savage Axis rifle testing Primers to fail.
As in pierced primers.
No barrel issues No stiff bolt lift.

Mossberg 100ATR 30-06 tested until stiff bolt lift and then 1/2 gr past that and broke an extractor trying to remove the stuck case. 100° day
No barrel issues.

Pressures had to be up there in the 30-06 because I ended up with NO stiff bolt lift at 3176 FPS
with 155 Sierra Palma bullet.
Over 3200 fps with stuck bolt.

If you are wildcatting I would imagine you may try and see when you get stiff bolt lift.
I would not worry about the barrel though.
Unless it is just pure junk I can't see it coming apart before pressure signs stop you.

Neat little read.
OMG! 30-06 load data from Real Guns [Archive] - The Firing Line Forums

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before you go tilting at windmills, look at a copy of shooters bible;
Guide to cartridges or something like it to see if someone else has already done it . Does a 270 with 23* shoulders work better than a 270 with 15* ? There has been a lot of wildcats never went anywhere and some factory rounds like WSS mag that died on the vine .

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the plethora of cartridges, in every caliber, out there; I don't see a need to wildcat.

Not that the Manufacturers won't be bringing out their new whiz bang, buy our new, greatest that has ever been, gun and cartridge.

I love reloading, I love working up loads IN EXISTING CARTRIDGES. No need for a 1 of 1 gun, in a non-existent round, that can't sold, if I have the need.

Many of today's top cartridges started out as wildcats. But, I don't see any openings, niches, or shortcomings in what already exists.

If you like spending the money, go for it.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before you go tilting at windmills, look at a copy of shooters bible;
Guide to cartridges or something like it to see if someone else has already done it . Does a 270 with 23* shoulders work better than a 270 with 15* ? There has been a lot of wildcats never went anywhere and some factory rounds like WSS mag that died on the vine .
I have neither the extra funds or the research time to come up with a new & improved next best thing, but was just curious what the process was for the home enthusiast to try to come up with a new round.
https://thinlineweapons.com/ARATA/This article peaked my interest with the strange and unique rounds that have come and gone.
EarlySmallCal.jpg

The cartridge on the right just seemed to be a lot of case to try to push that long of a bullet through that little of a neck size. I would be nervous that it would exceed pressure levels at any charge rate just looking at it. Kudos to those engineers and past swamprats that said "Hold my beer and check out this fireball!" Lol.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the gun mags had an article, early '80s IIRC, guy searching for the "need for speed". Loading .460 Weatherby brass resized to .12 caliber, shooting a tungsten bullet. Never got any consistent chrono readings, he believed the bullet was disintegrating before readings could be made.

"Hold my beer" works in some instances.
Just because it can done or somebody thinks can, doesn't mean it should.

Just looking at the 2 cartridges on the right, says "bad idea", to me.

panayoti

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There a guy named P.O. Ackley that did a lot of experimenting documented it in several books. Interesting reading. You still run across rifles chambered for Ackley improved. The popular ones were std calibers with the shoulder angle changed for more powder capacity and other benefits. The beauty of this approach is using std cases and fire forming the brass. You buy a reamer to change the chamber dimensions of a std rifle. 280 Remington Ackley Improved was popular. 44 mag started as a wildcat by Elmer Kieth.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
One of the gun mags had an article, early '80s IIRC, guy searching for the "need for speed". Loading .460 Weatherby brass resized to .12 caliber, shooting a tungsten bullet. Never got any consistent chrono readings, he believed the bullet was disintegrating before readings could be made.

"Hold my beer" works in some instances.
Just because it can done or somebody thinks can, doesn't mean it should.

Just looking at the 2 cartridges on the right, says "bad idea", to me.
I have 40gr .22 cal bullets and .30 cal sabots ready to put in my 30-378WBY......and have for about 10y now lol. I just never get around to trying them, always something else more important to do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom