Wilderness Survival Training

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A buddy of mine convinced me to go in on the entire series of dvds by Ron Hood. It’s a good series and I would recommend them. They might not be flashy, but I think he presents good information.

The books by Cody Lundin are interesting, not to knock them, but he’s basically taken readily available information and condensed it down to a entertaining format. Really practical advice and I appreciate his philosophy of not doing things that might cause you serious harm or even death.

There really isn’t anything “special” to wilderness survival; it’s just keeping your butt alive without modern convenience, but I doubt most people want to willingly subject themselves to that type of discomfort to become comfortable with living or traveling in an area with few resources that don’t require some effort to utilize.

I think you just have to go out into the outdoors and practice what you learn without relying on too much gear. Even better take someone with you as a backup.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Learn what is edible.
At 14 I escaped my house (ran away) and dug a hole with a stainless spoon and lived in that hole for 2 weeks I made a trap door over the top like a trap door spider.
When I knew no one was around and would not be for some time i would cook the fish or frogs or crawdads I caught in the creek.

I only pooped a few times as I was not eating much but I was at least not home.

Hooks and fishing line, matches and an old timer knife and of course the spoon.
I found sheet metal in the woods to cook on.
I bent it so it had 4" tall legs and a 6" cooking surface and made the fire under it.

Very small fire as I did not want to be found.

Day 10 I caught a big alligator snapping turtle and cooked it.
Found out what salmonella was all about.
Got super sick and high fever and after 3 days of that i gave up and went to a friends house.

Know this cook turtles all the way done!!!!!

This is why I say know what is edible.
You do not need much to eat unless you do a lot of calorie burning.

There are many things to eat in the woods but some of those things can make you sick.
We know this of course but at 14 I was not aware of all the toxic things . I knew of certain berries that were good and the ones that were not good.
I washed my clothes in the creek with the sand and rang them out and stuck them back on.
I did not get smelly.
Heck there were dogs and police out looking for me and I watched them walk by about 40 yards from my trap door spider hole in the ground.

Set up in a fence row right by a barbed wire fence.
This fence row was less than 8 feet thick, you could see right through it and see everything on the ground.
But you can't see me.
I probably smelled like moss and I used Polk berries on my skin as camo.
But was under ground so no camo needed.
Now that I think about it this may be a great way to hunt hogs on public land.
Being in a tree in thick brush lets skeeters eat you and shooting distances with all the limbs in the way is reduced.
:)

And like @HiredHand stated get out in the woods and give it a try.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Learn what is edible.
At 14 I escaped my house (ran away) and dug a hole with a stainless spoon and lived in that hole for 2 weeks I made a trap door over the top like a trap door spider.
When I knew no one was around and would not be for some time i would cook the fish or frogs or crawdads I caught in the creek.

I only pooped a few times as I was not eating much but I was at least not home.

Hooks and fishing line, matches and an old timer knife and of course the spoon.
I found sheet metal in the woods to cook on.
I bent it so it had 4" tall legs and a 6" cooking surface and made the fire under it.

Very small fire as I did not want to be found.

Day 10 I caught a big alligator snapping turtle and cooked it.
Found out what salmonella was all about.
Got super sick and high fever and after 3 days of that i gave up and went to a friends house.

Know this cook turtles all the way done!!!!!

This is why I say know what is edible.
You do not need much to eat unless you do a lot of calorie burning.

There are many things to eat in the woods but some of those things can make you sick.
We know this of course but at 14 I was not aware of all the toxic things . I knew of certain berries that were good and the ones that were not good.
I washed my clothes in the creek with the sand and rang them out and stuck them back on.
I did not get smelly.
Heck there were dogs and police out looking for me and I watched them walk by about 40 yards from my trap door spider hole in the ground.

Set up in a fence row right by a barbed wire fence.
This fence row was less than 8 feet thick, you could see right through it and see everything on the ground.
But you can't see me.
I probably smelled like moss and I used Polk berries on my skin as camo.
But was under ground so no camo needed.
Now that I think about it this may be a great way to hunt hogs on public land.
Being in a tree in thick brush lets skeeters eat you and shooting distances with all the limbs in the way is reduced.

And like @HiredHand stated get out in the woods and give it a try.
That’s pretty amazing you could do that at 14!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s pretty amazing you could do that at 14!

I spent a lot of time fishing ponds and creeks and my first time to cook a fish on my own I was
fishing with my friend of the same age.
We were in 4th grade and back then we were not to be in the house during the day.

You know the drill from parents. Get outside and play and be back before the street lights come on.

We had both caught a nice perch and decided to cook them in the creek bed.
We cleared a spot to sit and make a fire next to the creek.
Had some good coals and a stack of twigs to feed the fire and it was time to cook our gutted fish.

I cooked mine over the fire on a stick and my friend told me it will taste super fishy like that.
He said you need to cook it in a mud pie!

He scooped some mud up Not runny but stuff you could form into a ball.
He flattened it out and laid the fish on it and made another big ball of mud and flattened it and
put it on the fish covering the entire fish in a mud pie.

Skin and scales and heads still on these fish just gutted.
He placed his fish on the coals and we fed sticks into the fire.
It was probably 10 or so minutes later my fish was starting to fall off the stick so it was done.

He got 2 sticks and got his rock hard mud pie out of the coals and set it on the creek bank to cool.

He picked it up and separated the 2 half's and the skin stuck to the upper half and the lower 1/2 was the plate and it had the flaky perch on it.
My stick cooked fish was super fishy and his mud pie fish was not fishy at all and was cooked to perfection.

We both caught and ate fish and crawdads almost daily.
So 9 years old I could cook. Not a big deal feeding myself. Food and shelter and stay cleanish.

I went to cut more cedar trees yesterday and got some shooting in and that same friend
cooked some fish at noon that we ate.
No stick cooked fish this time. Skillet fried.

Iceberg21

New to the site!
Reaction score
Do NOT go to sigma three!!! The owner is NOT an honest man and a is coward who attempts to resolve issues and talk **** through Facebook. He posted my friend Billy Smith was his firearms instructor on his website without Billy even knowing it.

And despite being told to remove it he has not.
$5k to go camping??? haha. Any place who charges that much for any time period of wilderness survival tells you all you need to know. Your survival gear alone doesn’t come near that cost. Listen to the right people with real world experience, know how to manage through fears and self doubts and apply them out there in your own with your wife, kids or alone. You spend that much…you’re already dead haha.

Latest posts

Top Bottom