Wildlife conservation organizations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The drastic decline of ground nesting animals (quail, pheasant, turkey, rabbit) is due to FIRE ANTS.

The import and rapid infestation has decimated small, ground animals. I have lost CALVES to fire ants.

Feral hogs have contributed to nest destruction.

Efforts to eliminate fire ants and hogs is like trying to empty the oceans with an eye dropper.
Northwest Oklahoma has zero fire ants, and hogs only in few places where they've been for about the last 20y, and ironically where there are still some stable turkey populations. We don't have enough cover to support hog expansion up here.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I had my way there would not be non resident licenses , and no I am not only with that view .
If I had my way there would be no asking "the Grubbermitt" permission to hunt or fish! Ban the hunting and fishing license!

Hunting and fishing is a God Given Right, but our ancestors let "the Grubbermitt" take those rights away from them all in the name of "conservation"! ☹️

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, I don’t care what state you live in or where you hunt, the cost has gone up. I’m going to step out on what I think is a pretty solid limb and say that the ODWC isn’t unhappy with the license revenue out of staters bring in and doesn’t want to see that revenue stream end. As an out of state land owner, I pay more in license fees in a year than a resident hunter will pay in 6 years, and I do so to hunt my own place and generally only kill one buck a year and catch a few catfish.

I‘ve seen people on here want to claim that out of staters (specifically Texans) get a bargain by hunting in Oklahoma, and that’s the biggest load of crap ever. I’m just going to use deer hunting as an example. An Oklahoman can hunt deer in TX from Oct 1-Jan 29 for a $315 license and can take 5 deer, and to hunt from Oct 1-Jan 15 in Oklahoma costs me $900 if I hunt all 3 methods. What a bargain. :rolleyes2
Anymore, If I had to buy tags to hunt, I think I would pass on hunting!

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Northwest Oklahoma has zero fire ants, and hogs only in few places where they've been for about the last 20y, and ironically where there are still some stable turkey populations. We don't have enough cover to support hog expansion up here.
Should have added "in our area"

Here in SW OK, quail were everywhere in 60s, 70s, and early 80s. Never seen a turkey or deer, hogs were unheard of.
We lived south of Houston from '78 to '03. Witnessed the spread of fire ants and seen the devastation.

Moved here in '03, surprised to find fire ants. Where we quail hunted and jumped 8-10 covers a day, I feel lucky to find 1 covey. I have jumped 3 jackrabbit in 20 years. Turkey and deer inhabit where there were none, but populations are not great.

The 5 year drought didn't help. Nothing survives without water, food and shelter.
Drought affects all 3. Prolonged drought devastates all 3.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I had my way there would be no asking "the Grubbermitt" permission to hunt or fish! Ban the hunting and fishing license!

Hunting and fishing is a God Given Right, but our ancestors let "the Grubbermitt" take those rights away from them all in the name of "conservation"! ☹️
Actually unregulated subsistence and commercial hunting almost wiped most of the large game species in the United States. Im against most if not all govt regulation but were it not for the wildlife conservation movement by hunters we probably wouldn’t have much if anything to hunt today. That factual tidbit out of the way it doesn’t change my opinion that non residents should hunt in their states and not come here.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Should have added "in our area"

Here in SW OK, quail were everywhere in 60s, 70s, and early 80s. Never seen a turkey or deer, hogs were unheard of.
We lived south of Houston from '78 to '03. Witnessed the spread of fire ants and seen the devastation.

Moved here in '03, surprised to find fire ants. Where we quail hunted and jumped 8-10 covers a day, I feel lucky to find 1 covey. I have jumped 3 jackrabbit in 20 years. Turkey and deer inhabit where there were none, but populations are not great.

The 5 year drought didn't help. Nothing survives without water, food and shelter.
Drought affects all 3. Prolonged drought devastates all 3.
Yeah now drought I can relate to, we need rain like no other time since I've been alive.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Alongcamejones again!

Latest posts

Top Bottom