Wildlife conservation organizations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I look at all "huntable" bird species like this, and tend to compare them to other "huntable" animals like this. Considering in OK we don't have issues with animal populations other than game birds, quail/pheasant/turkey, they're purely food for other animals and continue exist because of sheer numbers, they're towards the bottom of the food chain. They have numerous predators from egg to adult, if they become too numerous disease occurs, birds disease easily, the cycle continues.

What's happening now and has been with quail, pheasant and turkey, which don't "migrate" has only declined over the last many years, despite great efforts and money, they continue to decline. Waterfowl.....save the nesting areas(NOT in OK) and there will be more birds, great, but unlike the quail, pheasant and turkey, they do migrate and imo Oklahoma is NOT long the primary destination route any longer. Why spend money on waterfowl that simply don't come here any longer? Spend it on something that might possibly do some good in OK. That said, QU hasn't improved quail hunting here, Pheasants Forever hasn't improved pheasant hunting here, NWTF has done a lot in the restoration of turkeys in OK......decades ago, but the turkey decline we have going on now is unlike anything we've seen in our lifetime. NWTF still doesn't have the answers as of yet. If I can help a local program of any kind that helps local hunters, local kids, local wildlife I'll pick that every time over a mutli-million dollar entity who's success is flying somewhere else for others to hunt. It's no different than supporting "mom and pop's" stores and local businesses.

The drastic decline of ground nesting animals (quail, pheasant, turkey, rabbit) is due to FIRE ANTS.

The import and rapid infestation has decimated small, ground animals. I have lost CALVES to fire ants.

Feral hogs have contributed to nest destruction.

Efforts to eliminate fire ants and hogs is like trying to empty the oceans with an eye dropper.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The drastic decline of ground nesting animals (quail, pheasant, turkey, rabbit) is due to FIRE ANTS.

The import and rapid infestation has decimated small, ground animals. I have lost CALVES to fire ants.

Feral hogs have contributed to nest destruction.

Efforts to eliminate fire ants and hogs is like trying to empty the oceans with an eye dropper.

It doesn't help that there are land owners who provide sanctuary for hogs so they can sell hunting leases for such even though its against the law to create a feral hog sanctuary.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It doesn't help that there are land owners who provide sanctuary for hogs so they can sell hunting leases for such even though its against the law to create a feral hog sanctuary.

I know of no land owner providing sanctuary.

I know many, self included, that do not allow hunting because of of azzhats shooting livestock, tractors, barns, leaving gates open, stealing.

May be one bad apple, but when you get that bad apple ...........

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do your homework. As hunters grow old and die, young money grubbing liberals are coming in and taking over. They realize these groups are cash cows ripe to fill their pockets and fund their agendas.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wildlife conservation is a national concern though. Just because you cant go in your backyard and shoot a bighorn sheep or grizzly bear doesn't mean you shouldn't care for or contribute to their conservation. Furthermore, even if money donated to conservation doesn't land in Oklahoma, it benefits other areas. If suddenly Texas had a huge boom of public hunting land availability and if all of a sudden public hunting there was top notch, people would have less of a reason to come to Oklahoma, thus reducing traffic and hunting pressure on our animals, making things better for purely Oklahoma based hunters and fishermen. The opposite is also a factor. If all of a sudden the states surrounding Oklahoma have zero hunting/land to hunt on, I guarantee we would have an unreal number of people coming to Oklahoma to hunt. So even if dollars go elsewhere for conservation, they can still benefit Oklahomans. I'm willing to bet the DU and QU land that I have hunted on here in Oklahoma was paid for by people in other states. Also, I do occasionally go hunting in other states when I have the luxury, so even if my money goes to help preserve grasslands in Kansas, I'll likely get to benefit from it eventually.
Amen thanks

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A non-res can hunt and take 6 deer including 2 antlered for a $300ish archery license. Yes thats a bargain compared to lots of other states.
Yes, but that’s if you only hunt archery. You can hunt the entire season in Texas for basically same money for archery, rifle, and muzzleloader seasons.

Latest posts

Top Bottom