Will we ever see a new rimfire caliber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Driving by tons of prairie dog towns up here in the Panhandle lately and I’ve been thinking a lot about getting a .17 WSM again. I have an .17HMR but I just really thought the WSM did a lot better and loved it a lot more.

But that got me to thinking. Do you think anyone will offer a new rimfire caliber in the near future or have they pretty much met the limit with the 17WSM as far as speed and how far the effective range is?

Bchance

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Driving by tons of prairie dog towns up here in the Panhandle lately and I’ve been thinking a lot about getting a .17 WSM again. I have an .17HMR but I just really thought the WSM did a lot better and loved it a lot more.

But that got me to thinking. Do you think anyone will offer a new rimfire caliber in the near future or have they pretty much met the limit with the 17WSM as far as speed and how far the effective range is?

That’s a good question. I always liked the extra firepower and personally, it was a lot of fun shooting them with my .270 from a couple hundred yards away.

I’m from Guymon too by the way. Actually went to school at Yarbrough until my Junior year then transferred to Guymon. Small world.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s a good question. I always liked the extra firepower and personally, it was a lot of fun shooting them with my .270 from a couple hundred yards away.

I’m from Guymon too by the way. Actually went to school at Yarbrough until my Junior year then transferred to Guymon. Small world.

I was out in the Pan for 8 years. Panhandleglocker was one my students/hunting/riding buddies. I taught at Guymon for 3 years before getting TF outta the Pan and coming back to civilization. Nice folks out there.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel like as technology continues to progress rimfire tech will as well, and there will be new rounds. Right now rimfire is hot, and with the current administration it will stay that way for a while. I think recently 17mach2 getting overshadowed by the 17hmr cost Hornady a lot of money and was a costly mistake. If I were to bet, we'll see a new rimfire cartridge after this administration leaves. I think the entire firearms/ammo industry is going to be playing things safe for a few years.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel like as technology continues to progress rimfire tech will as well, and there will be new rounds. Right now rimfire is hot, and with the current administration it will stay that way for a while. I think recently 17mach2 getting overshadowed by the 17hmr cost Hornady a lot of money and was a costly mistake. If I were to bet, we'll see a new rimfire cartridge after this administration leaves. I think the entire firearms/ammo industry is going to be playing things safe for a few years.
should have named it .17 Creedmoor. it would have had such a following.

Latest posts

Top Bottom