1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wilshire training with Will Andrews

Discussion in 'Firearm Training' started by rockchalk06, Jul 29, 2018.

1. rockchalk06

rockchalk06 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Have any of you taken his precision class at Wilshire?

I took one on the 20th. 25 bucks for an hour of polishing on some handgun skills. I figure it costs me 15 to shoot, whats an extra 10 bucks to have someone I know is better than myself be there.

I took away some positives from his class, but there were some negatives that kinda pissed me off. That said, I will go back and take another one.

Pros:
    I could have sworn that my Glock 43 was shooting low and left. I've never had this issue with a handgun before. I carried a Glock 43 Talo for about 2.5 years before selling it for a P365 and went back to another 43 Talo. I don't remember it shooting this way. I have had few that shot left or right and I compensated by drifting the rear sight. Anyway, Will took my 43 and fired 2 rounds basically hole-through-a-hole. I wasn't completely convinced so he had me get on target and he pulled the trigger. Wouldn't you know, that round found it's way dead center in a 1" square at 5 yards! I instantly started shooting better. I could feel myself jerking the trigger when I would have a round drop low and left, then when I had one drive home, I could feel I had an excellent stroke. I made sure to thank him about a half dozen times no less.

Cons:
    Class was huge. We were standing shoulder to shoulder. He had a backup assisting him, but I think there were too many people for what the class was designed for. Lots of chatter and a few immature folks mixed in too. Kinda pissed me off some. I'm usually a pretty serious person at the range and I didn't appreciate all the goofing off. I should note that none of the goofing off involved any handling of weapons during this time or when firing. It was while weapons were on the table, cleared or secured. I don't want to knock His or Wilshire's safety policies. At no time did I feel like an ND was going to happen. Some people tend to act half their age when around other folks. Kinda annoying as hell, but it is what it is. I found an older guy with a Vietnam Veteran hat who seemed to remember he wasn't 12 and we both stayed to ourselves. I like these type of range people.

All in all, I will take another one of his classes. I'm hoping the next will be a bit smaller though.

2. foghorn918

foghorn918 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    When Will was at H&H he ran a HOT range with his classes. At Wilshire are they COLD or HOT.
    HOT = loaded, chambered, and holstered - COLD = unloaded, clear chamber, and holstered.
    Just curious.

3. rockchalk06

rockchalk06 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    The course description said to bring holster and mag carrier. I don't think I seen anyone with either. Weapons were left on the table when not firing them.

4. SMS

SMS Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I've always appreciated Will's teaching style. He is knowledgeable and not your typical chest beating firearms instructor.

As for the shenanigans, unfortunately that's what we get with open enrollment classes LOL.

Hawkman likes this.
  5. rockchalk06

rockchalk06 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%

I agree 100%. I used to work with an officer that grew up working at various ranges in OKC. I asked him about instructors in the area and he told me to get with Andrews wherever he was at. He said if your wife wants a guy that doesn't act like Rambo, he was the guy. I prefer to take classes from people who don't spend half the class talking about how much of a badace they are or were. Andrews was NOT that type of instructor. I was impressed.

Mad Professor and SMS like this.
  6. Dave70968

Dave70968 Sharpshooter

I haven't taken Precision, but I've taken Pistol Skills II and III. I think Will is a good instructor, and good people. I have never seen a large class with only one assistant, but I haven't been to a class at Wilshire, either; I wonder if his staff is reduced due to the move. If so, I hope he addresses it.

In any event, I would, and will, take his classes again.

Hawkman and SMS like this.
  7. Mad Professor

Mad Professor Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    From what I have seen, the one hour classes through the week are all shot from the standard shooting position off the table. It is a cold range and guns are left on the table. This is a Wilshire class, not Will’s Oklahoma Shooting Skills class. I too think it is too crowded if there are more shooters than lanes on these classes I have went to. The shooting area is too tight. These classes are typically listed on Wilshire’s website.

The Pistol Skills classes are his OSS classes and are not Wiltshire’s. They are shot from the holster and it it is a hot range. All shooting is from in front of the standard shooting stations.

These classes are mostly held on Sunday evenings. You should have a decent quality holster with a reinforced mouth, a good belt, magazine pouch, and 3 magazines. Description and schedule on these can be found on Will’s website pistolskills.com

O4L likes this.
  8. Mad Professor

Rating
    100%

See my last post describing the difference.

There is a PS3 tonight. Come on!

9. rockchalk06

rockchalk06 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%

Thank you for this info. I am going to sign up and take #2. 80 bucks is cheap for what the class (I believe) can do.

10. Mad Professor

Rating
    100%
    I have seen people make incredible process in the PS2 class. You are right, it is very inexpensive. And to make it even better, the price to repeat it is greatly discounted. $25 to come back and take it again.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018