Win 94 30-30 barrel issue / replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ok-22shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has a Williams FP Receiver Sight or similar for sale or that I could borrow for accuracy testing? Live in South Tulsa area.

ok-22shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back from trip. Over several hours this afternoon, soaked bore with hopes, brushed and patched. maybe 125 passes with brush. can actually see metal in bore. not shinny but fairly smooth. will get out this week and shot. Really looking for peep sight to help with testing.

ok-22shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got to thinking about patches as they came out from cleaning the bore. they all had about the same amount of gray gunk. usually when the bore gets cleaner, less is on patch. plugged bore with whitled down wine cork. used ear funnel that doctor uses to look at your ear and pour hoppes into chamber and let sit with occasional sloshing over the afternoon. another 100 brush strokes and maybe 50 patches, some soaked in acetone. bore is now maybe 95% shinny with good rifleing. peep sight gets here Tuesday or Wednesday. Hope to shoot later this week. Bore was a uniform brown and had a pebble profile. I do not think oil would have coated as thick as this was. maybe grease but it was very uniform from end to end. what ever it was did a good job of protecting but was very difficult to get out. no telling how long it had been in there.

ok-22shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With a very shiny bore, I headed to the range with a newly purchased Williams FP peep sight for a 94 bolted to the side of the gun. Used the rear V sight to align peep then moved the V out of the way. switched to a smaller diameter peep as a large field of view was not an issue. I had 7 rounds of 30-30 that were miscellaneous brands, One into the bank with gun at waist level to test all was well. fired a couple that appeared to be the same. the couple hit about 1/4" apart at 35 yards, pretty close to the aiming point. third shot had different bullet and recoil and was inch apart. moving to fifty yards, three shots with different recoil and bullet configurations grouped into about 2.5" diameter. Sold gun at the show in Tulsa this morning. The two guys in the booth were pretty excited about both my price and the gun condition. A very different outcome from what I expected when I first looked thru the bore 3 weeks or so ago.

Many good suggestions from other OSA members that helped me through this. I am thankful for the suggestions.