Winches - you get what you pay for!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All these are the cheap Chinese discounted winches, even those like milemarker, superwinch and this specific model of warn.

I like watching this guy on his different testing. I wouldn’t have wasted time testing how much force it takes to pull the cable off the drum. That could all depend on how tight the rope was installed. Other than that, the synthetic cable breaking shows the inferior materials used on these.

The synthetic rope on my old Ramsey is USA made and rated at 19,500 pounds and 450 degrees and Ramsey wouldn’t install it on anything bigger than the 9,500 lbs winch. Most of the synthetic rope on these cheap winches will melt the layer of wrap against the drum because of the braking system, in these planetary winches, that is installed inside the drum generating a lot of heat.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Timely... I've been looking for a new wench winch. I need a smaller one for my Mule that will only see occasional use, and then for lightweight tasks only.

It's hard to find something decent at a reasonable price. Even a lot of the smaller Warn winches are made in China now. And I'm not gonna pay "Made in USA" prices for "Made in China" quality.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve stuck with Ramsey or Warn. I worked at Ramsey in Tulsa for a while and the guy I promoted to my group while there is now at Warn.

Anyone recognize this?

8B3EBC2C-DE56-4FF1-8C72-31CA1DA054AF.jpeg

8274-50
Upgraded version with 10,000 lbs of real, tested pulling force, 150’ of wire rope and a no load retrieval speed of 79.3 feet per minute. Fastest off-road winch made. This thing is not for the mall crawlers.

0FFAD021-0EB7-42C7-BAB8-2C32013739E9.jpeg

Last edited:

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just can’t get behind synthetic rope for a winch. For a jerk strap? Sure. For a winch that will sit outside on a vehicle I just can’t see it
Quality synthetic rope does not stretch, at all. You would break something if a synthetic rope was used to jerk something.

In fact, one of the positives for using synthetic rope is that the synthetic rope does not store energy, like wire rope does. When a synthetic rope breaks, it just falls to the ground and not slingshot like a wire rope or chain for that matter will.

Latest posts

Top Bottom