Winchester 1893 shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have any magical way to make a serial number appear? All I've done so far is rubbed with gun oil. But as it is my level of precision is, I think it may contain a "5". Probably doesn't really matter, but it would be helpful to know if it was an early or late gun because it appears there were a few differences.

Anyway, given it's a family gun, in rough shape and won't ever be shot, what do folks think I should do with it insofar as work? Affecting value isn't really a concern, since these don't seem to be worth much, and I wouldn't ever sell it anyway. Right now I'm thinking clean and oil it, get it functional and call it good. But part of me wonders about going a little further maybe doing a little refinishing? But it's hard to imagine it turning out to be much given the starting point. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20200819_212524.jpg
    20200819_212524.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 71

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have any magical way to make a serial number appear? All I've done so far is rubbed with gun oil. But as it is my level of precision is, I think it may contain a "5". Probably doesn't really matter, but it would be helpful to know if it was an early or late gun because it appears there were a few differences.

Anyway, given it's a family gun, in rough shape and won't ever be shot, what do folks think I should do with it insofar as work? Affecting value isn't really a concern, since these don't seem to be worth much, and I wouldn't ever sell it anyway. Right now I'm thinking clean and oil it, get it functional and call it good. But part of me wonders about going a little further maybe doing a little refinishing? But it's hard to imagine it turning out to be much given the starting point. Any thoughts?

Never under-estimate an old neglected gun. Sometimes there's a beauty queen hiding under the rust and mung.

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/springfield-120a-resto-before-and-after-picture-heavy.274714/

Also, you could take a white crayon and highlight the SN. Work the wax into the stamp and then wipe off the excess. To remove the wax just melt it with a lighter and wipe it off.

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never under-estimate an old neglected gun. Sometimes there's a beauty queen hiding under the rust and mung.

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/springfield-120a-resto-before-and-after-picture-heavy.274714/

Also, you could take a white crayon and highlight the SN. Work the wax into the stamp and then wipe off the excess. To remove the wax just melt it with a lighter and wipe it off.

I came here to say the same in regards to a crayon or ink. I’m thinking that cleaning it and making it functional is all you should do in terms of restoration. Let those 100+ years of character shine!

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I came here to say the same in regards to a crayon or ink. I’m thinking that cleaning it and making it functional is all you should do in terms of restoration. Let those 100+ years of character shine!

Definitely function first. I never restore a firearm until I know it is working 100%.

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

I would get it conserved. You might have active rust internally. If you could take it apart completely and boil all the parts then card all of them with a carding wheel (NOT A WIRE WHEEL) you might find it is in better shape than you think.

Watch the anvil series with Mark Novak on youtube.

Latest posts

Top Bottom