Winchester M1917 action pressures.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clackamas Jack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I inherited a Winchester M1917 chambered in 35 Whelen. My uncle had it custom made many years ago and its a beautiful rifle but I am worried about modern ammunition or reloading for 35 Whelen with hotter loads and can the 1917 action take higher modern pressures? The Nolser load data for a 200 grain bullet is pushing 2700+ fps up to 2800 fps and that seems pretty high.

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 1917 was the primary WW1 ( issued more of these than the “ official 1903”), original issue caliber was .30-06, and they were rebarreled in all kinds of calibers.. so while im no expert on the pressure ratings, it shouldnt be an issue

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The action was tough and 35 whelen was the most popular cartridge to rebarrel it to. Second was probably 375 H&H
Eddystones were prone to cracking end of receiver, but that was mostly by not relieving barrel pressure before removing barrel.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d think any factory loads would be made to work within the official SAMMI specs for 35 Whalen; same for any reloading data from a modern reloading manual unless, it was specified otherwise. I don’t think I’d be worried about a Mauser style action chambered in a cartridge developed 100 years ago.

Latest posts

Top Bottom