Wind Farm Turbine Blade Disposal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've thought for years they should make blades out of aluminum. It's strong enough to keep gargantuan planes in the air, it's good enough for wind power, and infinitely recyclable.
On the scale that those wind generators are made I believe the problem would be metal fatigue of the aluminum in an extremely quick amount of time compared to the fiberglass

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Really? These things are "supposed" to be environmentally sound?

Not So Green Energy

28085540-8294057-image-a-4_1588793478933-600x450.jpg

"Incredible photos have revealed the final resting place of massive wind turbine blades that cannot be recycled, and are instead heaped up in piles in landfills.

The municipal landfill in Casper, Wyoming, is the repository of at least 870 discarded blades, and one of the few locations in the country that accepts the massive fiberglass objects.

Built to withstand hurricane winds, the turbine blades cannot easily be crushed or recycled. About 8,000 of the blades are decommissioned in the U.S. every year.

Once they reach the end of their useful life on electricity-generating wind turbines, the blades have to be hacked up with industrial saws into pieces small enough to fit on a flat-bed trailer and hauled to a landfill that accepts them.

In addition to the landfill in Casper, landfills in Lake Mills, Iowa and Sioux Falls, South Dakota accept the discarded blades – but few other facilities have the kind of open space needed to bury the massive blades.

Once they are in the ground, the blades will remain there essentially forever – they do not degrade or break down over time."

Additional Source at Daily Mail

Daily Mail source has more photos and more to the story.
I’ve seen this article earlier this year. It is crazy that they can’t find something of use that they could recycle these into

panayoti

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They always report that plastics and fiberglass will be there forever. Plastics and fiberglass (epoxy) will degrade over time.
I am not saying wind energy will replace fossil fuels nor am I for wind generators. I just hate misinformation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom