Wind Farm Turbine Blade Disposal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You could use them for reef’s in the ocean.
Don't weigh enough. Ocean currents along with wave surges during tropical storms would scatter them across the ocean.
We watched them create a reef offshore of South Padre. Big project using decommissioned concrete center highway dividers, and concrete rail road ties. Concrete scrap, and steel ships. It's an ongoing project that is producing great results for reef fishing that is not expected to end soon as more product becomes available.
https://www.themonitor.com/2020/01/18/rgv-reef-begins-major-construction/

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really? These things are "supposed" to be environmentally sound?

Not So Green Energy

28085540-8294057-image-a-4_1588793478933-600x450.jpg

"Incredible photos have revealed the final resting place of massive wind turbine blades that cannot be recycled, and are instead heaped up in piles in landfills.

The municipal landfill in Casper, Wyoming, is the repository of at least 870 discarded blades, and one of the few locations in the country that accepts the massive fiberglass objects.

Built to withstand hurricane winds, the turbine blades cannot easily be crushed or recycled. About 8,000 of the blades are decommissioned in the U.S. every year.

Once they reach the end of their useful life on electricity-generating wind turbines, the blades have to be hacked up with industrial saws into pieces small enough to fit on a flat-bed trailer and hauled to a landfill that accepts them.

In addition to the landfill in Casper, landfills in Lake Mills, Iowa and Sioux Falls, South Dakota accept the discarded blades – but few other facilities have the kind of open space needed to bury the massive blades.

Once they are in the ground, the blades will remain there essentially forever – they do not degrade or break down over time."

Additional Source at Daily Mail

Daily Mail source has more photos and more to the story.

Wind is as stupid as ethanol and solar. Which is worse depends on your personal point of view, but I give wind the nod because of the negative impact on migratory birds and how disgusting they look across what was once a beautiful skyline across most of OK. If you want to argue it's ethanol or solar, you won't get much resistance outta me, but I say it's wind.

Just pisses me off every single time I see them, and they are everywhere, so I pretty much stay pissed off about it.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't weigh enough. Ocean currents along with wave surges during tropical storms would scatter them across the ocean.
We watched them create a reef offshore of South Padre. Big project using decommissioned concrete center highway dividers, and concrete rail road ties. Concrete scrap, and steel ships. It's an ongoing project that is producing great results for reef fishing that is not expected to end soon as more product becomes available.
https://www.themonitor.com/2020/01/18/rgv-reef-begins-major-construction/

If only they were hollow and could be filled with something lol.... pump up some sand from the bottom fill the blade cap it and drop her down.....OR the next ship you sink for a reef weld on mounting flanges and mound the blades to ship before you sing it?

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wind is as stupid as ethanol and solar. Which is worse depends on your personal point of view, but I give wind the nod because of the negative impact on migratory birds and how disgusting they look across what was once a beautiful skyline across most of OK. If you want to argue it's ethanol or solar, you won't get much resistance outta me, but I say it's wind.

Just pisses me off every single time I see them, and they are everywhere, so I pretty much stay pissed off about it.
This right here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom