Wind Turbine Fail: Texas Grid Operator Begs Texans to Turn Off Appliances During Peak Hours to Avoid Rolling Blackouts Amid Heat Wave,Very Low Winds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the fact the turbines turn at a fixed speed, and must be started, indicates to me they don't run on wind power at all.
Na they do produce power but not near what the the rated megawatt are. lately it has been to hot for them to run during the long afternoons and the air conditioners on the towers are screaming just trying to keep the controls cool. they do produce but at a very high cost and aren't dependable or constant. anyone remember what the subsidy is on them?

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are three electric grids that cover the 48 states. The east grid and the the west grid cover 47 of them. Texas has its own electric grid.
Methinks you missed the sarcasm that I know that and think the problem wouldn't exist if they were integrated into the larger grid system.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
....and how do the blades pitch?

They rotate, similar to an airplane.

1657650811098.png

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have read that it can take a large amount of grid power to operate a wind turbine and that power is usually not accounted for in the net amount of power produced by wind turbines. Some say, at times, a wind turbine can consume as much as the equivalent of 50% of the power it produces.

I don't recall where I read that but it was in some story about wind turbines. Obviously the writer had a bias against them so I don't know how accurate that figure is.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have read that it can take a large amount of grid power to operate a wind turbine and that power is usually not accounted for in the net amount of power produced by wind turbines. Some say, at times, a wind turbine can consume as much as the equivalent of 50% of the power it produces.

I don't recall where I read that but it was in some story about wind turbines. Obviously the writer had a bias against them so I don't know how accurate that figure is.
Do you know if the turbines use the electricity IT produced or does it come from an external source? I'll ask since others have difficulty putting a full question/sentence together.

I think I read the same article. If the turbine creates it's own electricity, then I don't see the argument/conspiracy.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you know if the turbines use the electricity IT produced or does it come from an external source? I'll ask since others have difficulty putting a full question/sentence together.

I think I read the same article. If the turbine creates it's own electricity, then I don't see the argument/conspiracy.
I don't think there is actually a conspiracy about wind turbines or other forms of green energy like solar. The only thing conspiratorial about it is the line of BS we are fed that it can and will replace fossil fuels in the near future. If the wind farm mentioned in the article is down to 10% of nominal output, then it would require them to build an additional 10x the number of existing turbine towers to supply a dependable peak load handling system. They won't do that because of the cost. They will just tell their customers to suffer through it for the good of the earth.

Latest posts

Top Bottom