Wind Turbine Fail: Texas Grid Operator Begs Texans to Turn Off Appliances During Peak Hours to Avoid Rolling Blackouts Amid Heat Wave,Very Low Winds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cannot fathom your electric bill. We're 74 daytime, 73 nighttime.
Ha! THere are a couple dozen things in my life I'd rather not compromise on not matter what the cost will be. Having a cool/cold house when it is hot outside is one of them. Currently have our small house we are living in set this way and the main home on our property that is being remodeled with nothing in it is also set about 70*. I need my cool places for sure. Not sure what our electric bill is as our entire property is electric.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While this video seems to show a wind turbine in Europe (late in the video the guy refers to euros instead of dollars or other currency), it can give one an idea of the complexity of the wind turbine system. There are some seriously big electrical boxes in both the base of the tower and up in the nacelle of the turbine.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe if the system was designed so that if generation in one area is low, it can be brought in from other generation areas ... like if there was an interconnected series of power lines and stations. Like a grid or something. Like, maybe that would account for if renewables in one area not producing as much. States could be linked together so that if wind in Texas is too calm, then power could be stable.

Oh....wait. We have a system like that that those idiots don't want to be a part of. Guess it's their own problem. They should probably do something about it before their secessionist vote in 2023 or whatever they are trying for.
Your absolutely correct. Tx EPCOT put themselves in this position. It’s the albatross around their neck and they keep doubling down on their silliness.
We all know the decisions come out of Austin which is currently a suburb of commiefornika.
We suffered through their green power failures a couple years ago 2 miles away from the Mexican border where the lights remained on while we were in below freezing temps in an RV for a couple weeks with propane heat going away as there was no electricity to run the pumps supplying fuel for the trucks to deliver propane that couldn’t be pumped into the trucks because of no electricity and no water as the pumps with emergency backup had no fuel to come on line.
Thankfully we keep prepared for these situations and we made it through the freeze with no damage.
Their decision to remain “green” and cut the ties to the grid available shows 100% that green power will never work.
They are getting reinforced in that knowledge currently.
Wonder if that will change minds in the LA suburbs of Austin?

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have read that it can take a large amount of grid power to operate a wind turbine and that power is usually not accounted for in the net amount of power produced by wind turbines. Some say, at times, a wind turbine can consume as much as the equivalent of 50% of the power it produces.

I don't recall where I read that but it was in some story about wind turbines. Obviously the writer had a bias against them so I don't know how accurate that figure is.
All power plants, no matter their method of generation are typically their own best customer in energy usage. It takes power to generate power.

Latest posts

Top Bottom