Wind Turbine Fail: Texas Grid Operator Begs Texans to Turn Off Appliances During Peak Hours to Avoid Rolling Blackouts Amid Heat Wave,Very Low Winds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We're on the OG&E "Smart Hours" plan. The idea is to use less electricity from 2pm to 7pm because the price goes up then.

It topped out at 111° here today. Our house is about 1100 sq ft. I turned the thermostat up to 80 at 2pm. The A/C shuts off for about 2 mins per hour, at most.

So, I'm thinking, if my A/C isn't gonna shut off anyway, why not leave the thermostat at a comfortable temp? There's definitely some more attic insulation in our near future. You can feel the heat on the ceiling. The walls and windows seem to be OK. I've put in a few ceiling fans and I could really feel the heat in the attic when installing them. I'm betting it was close to 150 up there today. And it's a really shallow pitch so you can't get up there with rolls. I think blown in will be the only option.

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
293654030_10159101689688099_6480361800299570507_n.jpg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We're on the OG&E "Smart Hours" plan. The idea is to use less electricity from 2pm to 7pm because the price goes up then.

It topped out at 111° here today. Our house is about 1100 sq ft. I turned the thermostat up to 80 at 2pm. The A/C shuts off for about 2 mins per hour, at most.

So, I'm thinking, if my A/C isn't gonna shut off anyway, why not leave the thermostat at a comfortable temp? There's definitely some more attic insulation in our near future. You can feel the heat on the ceiling. The walls and windows seem to be OK. I've put in a few ceiling fans and I could really feel the heat in the attic when installing them. I'm betting it was close to 150 up there today. And it's a really shallow pitch so you can't get up there with rolls. I think blown in will be the only option.
I used to be on it. You really need to read up on the Smart Hours. It used to be that you would pay 1/2 the normal rate for non-peak hours so it could save you some coin if you cut back from 2:00 to 7:00. But since the rate increase to recoup fuel costs from the polar vortex icemegeddon last winter, you are actually paying normal rate for non-peak hours and the variable increased rate during peak hours. So you are actually paying more than you would be if not on the plan. Yes they are charging the same normal rate for non-peak hours, I looked it up myself when I heard about it. Aaron Tuttle posted this up on farcebook awhile back and they had a ton of people calling to cancel. I don't blame them. Unless they've corrected their rates I'd be jumping off that train ASAP.

Latest posts

Top Bottom